Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Dodge Ram > Build Threads

Build Threads The place to put a truck build thread that is constantly updated.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #71
swirvin21
V6 Member

Figure while I'm at it I'll update a little on the Rams as well. Haven't done much, but have gotten a few important things done I'm happy to say. I managed to get the transmission leak FIXED!!!

It turned out to be 2 leaks actually: 1 at the torque converter seal and bushing as predicted, which required the replacement of the torque converter as well as the seal and bushing. Picked it up from the shop only to find things still leaking...so I took it back on Memorial Day week and left it for awhile to let them have some time to find where. Turns out that the seal at the shifter was leaking and therefore it only leaked when it sat. They took care of that and so far I have NO PROBLEMS!!! They even drilled out the check ball in the pressure line as I had talked about. Under a grand...can't share the exact price, but I can pass along the shop info to anyone interested.

So now that the trans is fixed, I'll have to fix the A/C, then swap in the new axles and finish out the suspension conversions. Hopefully that will make me a good, comfortable tow rig out of the White Ram. Went with Rancho 9000s for now just so I can adjust the valving between heavy loads and play with what feels best. Also put in the order for the Daystar air bag bellows, not sure when those will get here though...

Black Ram....dam, not much to share I'm afraid. Hardly had time to touch her. Need to do some basic maintenance: pack front bearings, change out diff fluids, change out brake lines for longer ones, go ahead and lengthen/check vents and other random small stuff.

In terms of actual modifications, I'm going to go ahead and install the frame side long arm brackets either in the designed location or slightly forward in the position I plan on running them for the swap. I need to do measurements and see how it will work first, but my thought was to either install in the forward position and just extend the links later or install in the rear position thinking the links will remain the same length. Probably would be better to install in the front position so I can tailor the lengths with the 4 link calculator. Plus... I can use the brackets to build my rocker sliders and tie them into the frame better and stronger. Which is probably the better reason.

So unfortunately that's all there is on the Dodge front...little or no progress
swirvin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #72
swirvin21
V6 Member

Well guys....everything changed today! I went out and bought a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 V10 DRW Crew Cab Long Bed truck. Got a KILLER deal on her and based on what I've read and what DJ told me, it's pretty dang rare. Plenty of 2003 Ram 2500 V10s, but very few 3500s. This is the only year of the V10, so I jumped on it.

Gonna be a very interesting change in my builds now....something's got to go, can't have 3 Dodge Ram pickups in the driveway. I can justify 2, but not 3! Plus I need to sell something to come up with some extra cash to fix up the new Ram. So, enough chit chat...here she is!!

'03 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT V10 DRW Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 201K 3.73 gears NP271 AAM 11.5 w/ rear disc

Here's how she looked when I first picked her up...ugly chrome wheel trim, side mirror chrome covers and chrome door moldings. Gone the second I got home!

Already looks better doesn't she!!!

So this opens a whole new can of worms...different parts, different designs, different ideas. Good thing DOR has me covered on the 3rd gens as well!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #73
(S.M.R) 101
Outdoorsman Member

Awesome find!

"Oilfield Outlaw"
(S.M.R) 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #74
swirvin21
V6 Member

got it cheap tooo!!! Hehehehe.... you guys will have to school me on some 3rd gen knowledge!
Old 06-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #75
myoung84
Super Moderator

Pretty sweet find! What are your plans?

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Shocks | AirLift 100 Air Bags
Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug
myoung84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #76
DoubleTakeDodge
James

Send a message via Skype™ to DoubleTakeDodge

Very cool! Can't wait to see what it turns into!
Old 06-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #77
swirvin21
V6 Member

Well, I guess I can announce that we are pregnant now that we're into the 2nd trimester! So alot of buying this truck was to get the extra room in the back from the crew cab. The original plan for the White Ram was for it to be a good DD, farm truck and short-term heavy hauler for taking our horses to shows, etc. Down the road we hope to get a real hauler like a Freightliner or something in the 450, 550+ area, as I'm sure my wife plans on getting more horses and a bigger trailer! LOL

The plan right now is to find a flat bed, truck bed or something to throw on the back cheap so I can drive it more. I'm not a big fan of having everything open and uncovered on the road and only some magnetic trailer lights on the back! My wife really wants a Western Hauler style flat bed, but they are expensive and hard to find. I'm hoping she let's me use the money to buy a tube bender and some other tools for me to be able to build my own this fall!

For right now, a cheap flat bed, replacing the rear disc pads and fixing the transmission, which seems to either have a 2nd gear issue or just needs the bands adjusted and maybe a solenoid replaced. There are a number of other things that the truck needs replaced, like the hood struts, the dash cap is badly cracked and some basic maintence, but that's why I got it sooo cheap!

I would guess that the 47RE transmission on this would be the same as my '98 aside from a few sensors. Depending on what happens when I open her up, I may consider parting out the White Ram early and moving some stuff around.

I'm going to have to re-evaluate some of my build plans as I was just about to pull the trigger on rebuilding a D80 and D60 for the White Ram, as well as doing a hub conversion, suspension upgrade and a number of other things. Have a brand new set of Rancho RS9000s that are in the garage for a 2" lift on a 2nd Gen....think they would work on the 3rd gen? Bunch of parts like that. Probably have a hub conversion kit for sale here soon....complete Ford conversion w/ knuckles, hubs, stubs, spindles and everything to get dual piston calipers and locking hubs on a 2nd gen. Also just recently traded for a set of Moto Metal 20x10 black 951s that we going on the White, but won't work on the Red unless I delete DRW for a bit....anyone need 20s??

If anyone knows of a cheap flat bed, hit me up! Also will have some pretty kick ass parts coming up: the 20" Moto Metals (5 of them), Ford conversion kit, a set of 275/65R20 Goodyear E load tires (used, 50%ish) and a few others I'll put together.

Love to hear ideas on the best places to spend money on these! Wonder if my 2nd gen K&N setup will work on her???
Old 06-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #78
myoung84
Super Moderator

Congrats on the baby! I've got a little girl that due in just a couple of weeks!

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Shocks | AirLift 100 Air Bags
Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug
myoung84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #79
swirvin21
V6 Member

Congrats! We are about a month away from finding out if it's a boy or girl. My wife is already saying that this is our last, even though it's our first! LOL. We'll see, she may be right, but I keep telling her she may end up enjoying being pregnant.

I just found a line on a cheap OEM dually bed w/ lights and tailgate. Wrong color though. Anyone have an idea on how to make a white bed into a red one....for cheap?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #80
swirvin21
V6 Member

Haven't had time to post much....between packing, cleaning, preparing for some home DIY projects, getting ready to put the house up for sale and taking care of a pregnant wife I have hardly touched the new truck!

I did manage to get a bed, rear bumper, hitch and lights. Made a quick trade thinking I might have a matching or close to matching bed, but unfortunately the PRV paint code was only available on 02 and 03 models and this one is obviously different. I'd be very interested in hearing some ideas on how to fix it and will post pics later this weekend, but the bed is a dark red and is obviously lighter and without the purple you see in the cab.

I'm battling a hell of a wiring issue: hooked up some cheap tow lights to get to the bed (worked fine on the way there), had to cut some flat bed wiring to plug in stock tails but nothing worked after installing bed, tried to use the tow lights and they wouldn't work either. The tow lights worked with the headlights and interior dash lights off....but nothing worked with the headlights on!!! So I drove home with every truck, big rig and car honking at me to let me know my tails were out....yeah, I KNOW! Somehow on the way home one of my tow lamps fell off the truck and broke, suddenly my remaining tow lamp worked with headlamps on...F'N weird! Played with wiring a bit, removed all the clip on jumpers, taped and cleaned things up and am waiting on cleaning up the terminals and cleaning the water and dirt out of the tails before testing things out.

I'd be very interested in hearing opinions on lighting options for the 3rd gens! Headlights and tail lamps are dull and scuffed badly, might as well replace unless someone has a suggestion! Even the clearance lights look like they have some weird glue looking stuff on them.

Still need to do some cleaning, but I'd appreciate any opinions on what I should or can do on the 3rd gen Rams! Reply with your ideas please...

Not sure what I'm going to do with the 2 other Rams I have. Might sell the White, maybe the Black, maybe part one or the other out??? No clue....not even thinking that far ahead really. No time to swap parts around with everything else, so I'm going to park one out of the way and focus on other things. Pick up on the decision later on!

I do have a D60 front 4.10 and D80 4.10 LS SRW rear that I need to sell from a 2nd Gen Ram. Were going to rebuild for the White Ram. Can even do a complete Ford hub conversion with dual piston calipers and new BJs, etc if someone is interested. Will sell the hub conversion separate as well...hard to find the good bolt-on caliper style Ford knuckles I have!!!