View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
myoung84
Super Moderator

The upstairs of my house has developed some pretty bad squeaks and creeks over the last couple years. Since I had carpeted floors I didn't think there was anything I could do, short of ripping up the carpet and screwing down the squeaky areas. After hearing my wife complain about it long enough, I started searching for solutions and came across a kit that was supposed to fix this. It consists of a tool that you set on the floor and some special screws that have a breakaway point and finer threads at the top of the screw, which help to pull the subfloor down tight to the joist. It also comes with a screw bit that you chuck up in the drill that only has a few threads on it to help find the floor joists. You screw this into the floor and if it grabs all the way down, you found a stud, it it only grabs the subfloor and then slides freely, you missed it. Just drill every 1" and you'll eventually find it. I had no damage at all to my carpet and it's eliminated every squeak I've attempted to fix. The first couple I tried took about 8-12 screws each to find the squeaky spot but the last one I did got it done with a single screw. Just have to spend some time pushing in the floor to find exactly where it's squeaking at.

Amazon Amazon

Here's a pic before I snapped the screw off. It leaves no trace of a hole what so ever. I'm 100% satisfied with this kit. Just have about half a dozen more squeaks to fix!

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Shocks | AirLift 100 Air Bags
Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug
myoung84 is offline   Reply With Quote