Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Dodge Ram > General

Old 10-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Default I'm all over the place...

Alright, you guys know that I cancelled my header order because BBK keeps pushing them back. Now I have $400 or so to play with but with the holidays coming up there won't be more...gotta hook the little man up.

Anyway, I'm sure you guys are tired of me picking different things to discuss, but with mod money being tight, I run all the options through to make sure I pick the right thing. Here are my thoughts:

First:

I could just stay with the BBKs. Yes they were delayed and yes they may do it again, but its a set of bolt-on ceramic coated headers for $400.

Second:

Moe's 87mm throttle body. I like this option because of how easy the install would be BUT there's no "show" with it. That's not the most important aspect, but being that my truck is much more show than go, I would like to add to both if possible.

Third:

I had discussed a cheap high performance stall converter (better M?) but the problem here, as pointed out by members with much more knowledge than myself, this may actually hurt me a bit because of my open differential not being able to transfer the increased torque to the pavement. Another downer is the install. While I would love to do it, pulling the trans on the ground in my garage sounds like hell.

Fourth:

I thought about some paint options, but found out today that my painter's manager nixed anymore side jobs at work, so I have to wait until he gets his home shop finished, but thats a couple of months out.

Fifth:

I was talking to my brother, who isn't a car guy, about what I could do that would be show and performance and he brought up something I did to my '04. Because the Boss 335s and my current wheels have such an open design, the brake rotors stick out like a sore thumb. On my '04 I slapped on a set of cross drilled rotors and it helped the look a ton and helped braking a bit. Thoughts about this? I can pick up a set just like I had on my old truck pretty affordably which would help show, help stop, and still leave a little change.

Anything else I haven't thought of?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

Your truck is already quick enough I think. Headers would look good and sound good but waiting that long is something I couldn't do... lol I say go with the brake rotors because of the points you brought up. It'll help the show aspect of your truck and that is more what your aiming for anyways. Fast is definately fun but unless you start getting into cams and that sort of thing, headers or the throttle body won't really be worth it in your case imo. Go for show
Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
1Tuff6.7
Diesel freak

You could buy my bumper......
Lowered 2.5"-s&b CAI-5" flopro TBE-ARP studs-Sinister cooler delete-GDP intake mani-h&s black maxx Custom tuned by Ryan Milliken@hardway performance-FASS 220-sinister tank sump-simpson diesel laddder bars-isspro gauges-Snow stg3 water/meth kit-600k HIDs-Recon LEDs-plasti dipped bumpers-Rok-Tek grille-bushwacker flares-AMP power steps-cover king seat covers-all JL Audio sound system.

"America is all about speed. hot,nasty,badass speed"
-Eleanor Roosevelt
1Tuff6.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Okiespaniels
Coffee, Gas, Ammo. Set!

I like the rotor idea myself... and I guess I'll spill some secrets I've observed.

Here's what I've found from going to (local) shows. Most local show judges are volunteers and not enthusiasts, per se' But here's what Traci and I believe most judges look at...

A. The engine compartment. How clean, organized and how much "power" does the engine convey?

B. Tires and rims...shined, detailed...rotors and calipers...eh. But if thay can be seen through the rims... they need to be painted and detailed.

C. Interior... Is it clean? Is it tastefully or as outrageous as the outside?

D. Display. Cute figurines and rat finks have thier place, but show boards rate at least a 2nd or 3rd glance. Its also a great way to point judges (and spectators) to mods that would likely be overlooked. Lastly, if you have a tribute or patriotic theme you are almost guaranteed gold...as long as no one else has the same build in your class!

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 10-24-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Okiespaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
916Timmy
Hemi Gangsta!!!!

I get pissed every single show I see that flag painted Del Sol with trophies on it!!!

Makes me want to move to Canada!

BellTech 963SP / InTune / Volant / Fastman / Magnaflow / Moroso AOS / 180 T-Stat / Mech Fan Delete & V-6 E-Fan / Amsoil
14.574 @ 97.82 3.21 gears, full street trim, 5120 pounds on the scale!!!
916Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
916Timmy
Hemi Gangsta!!!!

If you want the best performance, do the 4.10s and a good LSD. It is pricey, but it will make more difference than 2,000 dollars worth of all the other bolt on stuff. Torque convertor should be done last.

I would put money on a stock truck with 4.10s over any bolt on truck. I get beat by 3.92 LSD trucks with just an exhaust! Mine is getting mods in this order....and I have less money for stuff..

Gears/LSD....probably 1100-1200 bucks

Longtube OBX headers....550

Custom exhaust setup.....TBD

My 6.1 manifold swap with LMI hammer

Johan Tune.....TBD

Torque Convertor....525

ZEX wet kit....600

BellTech 963SP / InTune / Volant / Fastman / Magnaflow / Moroso AOS / 180 T-Stat / Mech Fan Delete & V-6 E-Fan / Amsoil
14.574 @ 97.82 3.21 gears, full street trim, 5120 pounds on the scale!!!

Last edited by 916Timmy; 10-24-2012 at 09:05 PM.
916Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
Okiespaniels
Coffee, Gas, Ammo. Set!

Originally Posted by 916Timmy View Post
If you want the best performance, do the 4.10s and a good LSD. It is pricey, but it will make more difference than 2,000 dollars worth of all the other bolt on stuff. Torque convertor should be done last.

I would put money on a stock truck with 4.10s over any bolt on truck. I get beat by 3.92 LSD trucks with just an exhaust! Mine is getting mods in this order....and I have less money for stuff..

Gears/LSD....probably 1100-1200 bucks

Longtube OBX headers....550

Custom exhaust setup.....TBD

My 6.1 manifold swap with LMI hammer

Johan Tune.....TBD

Torque Convertor....525

ZEX wet kit....600
That looks like a good list to me! Should put the truck solidly in the low 13s!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Okiespaniels
Coffee, Gas, Ammo. Set!

Crap double post! Sorry all!

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 10-24-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Thanks for the insight guys. I think I'm going to order the rotors but not the "ceramic" pads because they are too noisy. Ordering those will leave me with about half of my budget. I'm thinking its time to design a show board but use one where the lower piece has a plexy cover so I can redesign and replace the large mod/picture area whenever I want.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
fastnnuffrt
Jesse

Hey Tim u better be ready to do something with that tranny. And I wouldn't put a Zex on my lawn mower either sniper or nitrous express

2011 Ram R/T
Vararam, 2/5 Belltech drop, Black factory 22s,
One badass daily driver
fastnnuffrt is offline   Reply With Quote