Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Members' Area > The Lounge

The Lounge The place to hang out and discuss random things that have nothing to do with Dodge Rams.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #1381
myoung84
Super Moderator

Shit's not good...

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Shocks | AirLift 100 Air Bags
Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug
myoung84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #1382
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Fucking extended warranty company...

When I changed Sarah's oil the last time I removed the engine beauty cover and forgot to reinstall it. When I drove the car the next day, the amount of valve ticking noise was horrendous. It was most likely being insulated by the beauty cover, which does have noise dampening material on it's underside.

Anyway, we dropped her car off yesterday because it's covered under an extended warranty until 90k miles and we're only at about 56k. Today, they called me and told me that two of the rocker arms were damaged which caused damage to other parts. This shouldn't be a problem as he said it just seems like they failed and all internall lubricated parts are covered under our warranty.

However, the dealership told me that the extended warranty company told them that they will not cover the repair until they send their own representative out to check it out and verify the damage and also th check the lubrication. I'm assuming they want to make sure that the oil is changed regularly. That's the part that scares me. I do change it on a regular basis but I feel like this leaves the door open for them to simply deny the claim.

On top of all that, we are only covered for five days of rental reimbursement. If I get Sarah a rental on Sunday evening, I'll burn two of the five days before the inspector even gets there, let alone however long the repair will take.

I'm irritated.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #1383
Administrator

what company is that through?

sounds like bullshit - I understand what they are getting at......but hell, they can tell if its had oil changes. See, no gunk in here. LOL Asshats.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #1384
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

MAPS is the company.

This is purely a lack of knowledge, but how quickly does gunk form? I mean, does going over a bit cause it or is it only if your completely ignore maintenance?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #1385
DoubleTakeDodge
James

Send a message via Skype™ to DoubleTakeDodge

You don't get build up by going just a little over. Oil changes are recommended every 3,000 miles because the oil most times is good for 4,500 or 5,000 miles. Good, premium synthetic up to 10,000 in some cases. As long as they were done on time or only shortly thereafter the suggested mileage you shouldn't have any trouble, especially considering how new the car is and much more efficient than older models in terms of engineering.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #1386
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Thanks dudester. The most recent change was the longest her car went without a change and that was about 5k miles. We don't use anything fancy in her car, just Castrol GTX.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #1387
Administrator

5k you are more than fine

15 years ago I worked at Ford, the parts truck got it at 10-12K each time. Never an issue......and we (I) dogged that thing and it wasn't like all the miles were highway...
Old 02-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #1388
DoubleTakeDodge
James

That's still a good oil. You should be good for at least 5k miles before the oil was actually bad, plus time on top of that for anything to build up and form. And with as well as cars are designed to fight buildup and everything now, you shouldn't have a problem. For the future though, I would recommend oil additive if you plan to hold out til close til the end of the oil life, just as a precautionary measure.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #1389
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

I normally change hers at 4k, just forgot this time.

Honestly, thanks for helping me out fellas. I was stressing a bit.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #1390
DoubleTakeDodge
James

Was the parts truck a diesel though? If I remember correctly, diesels generally have a 10k mile recommended oil change. On 3/4 and 1 ton trucks anyways