Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Dodge Ram > Interior

Old 09-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #21
Matt
SRT-10 Member

Originally Posted by BMRbrnSNRbrd View Post
Basically any section. The way I figure wrapping will work is that you try and use one piece and keep it tight so that there are no wrinkles and such.

Let's take the visor you showed above. When the edge of your material met the original starting point, what did you do to keep a clean look? I guess I'm just wondering about the basics of actualy wrapping a part.

The headliner will be easy because the edges can be hidden on the back so that they won't be seen, but what do you do when there's nowhere to hide those edges? Also, are you using the same glue as the headliner on the other parts?
yes ALWAYS use one piece bc with suede and vinyls there really isn't a good way to show the edges the only way basically is to fold them over and sew the edge to a finished edge but still doesn't look good imo so best way to do it is run the material untill you can't see the edge ... for instance on my door panel parts the corners where the arm rest is were a BITCH!! bc i didn't want any creases and i wanted the suede to really get into the corner so it didn't look rounded ... however when you put that piece back into the door you don't even see the spots where i took most of my time .. so just be aware on what is going to be seen and what's not going to be seen

i use a 3m glue in a big black can at oreilys and on the headliner i buy the most expensive kind its like 20 bucks but it has SUPER SUPER SUPER hold lol reasoning is you're attaching a heavier fabric and of course it's going to be upside down in our heat which sucks so i spend the extra few bucks not to worry the other stuff is just 1 notch down which is still like 14 bucks or so ... best trick with the headliner i can tell you is go slow, do small sections untill you're comfortable and start in the middle vertically and go to the outsides that way if you have some creases which is gonna happen in a lot of cars no matter what you can hide them in the seal ... i went center and then front to back on mine and i have some creases in the rear but that was like 5 years ago and was my first one ....

the visors there are 2 ways to do .... the easiest way is to split them apart there are a bunch of plastic ball and socket style clamps that hold it together and if you take your time it's not too bad to split ... and then the mirror piece has 8 small plastic "dowels?" that press into the holes on the visor and then the back is kinda melted to flatten them on mine i just took my time and pryed it out with a flat panel popper and then stuck it back in after i put the suede down and then a little glue on the back side of those "dowels" to hold it in place .... the factory pieces use no glue but i decided to use a bit only to make it easier to hold while i was stretching ... basically i attached the one side where it was flat (this is best to do on the side with the mirror in it) with a little glue in a few spots ... then stretch it on the other side and repeat the process ... you could actually glue the cover all around the edge and then fold it over and be done except working a few of the spots around the clips and the bar ..... buttt i don't like doing that because there is some lose spots that i can feel when i do it that way and if that's the case you cant push in the material anymore bc it's glued ... so that's why i only glue one side and then i use a flat wide piece of metal .. ( i have a tool for this) but you can also use whatever you can find... and then stretch the material to the edge and push it in that small gap where the two edges meet .... i hope i didn't lose you lol it's easier to show in person ...

i grabbed this from oreilys and it matches the other stuff

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #22
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Thank you very much for the explanation. Hopefully I can do this in the near future but either way it will definitely be getting done.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #23
Matt
SRT-10 Member

i've also got a couple things that i'm going to start finishing up .. i changed my seats out a while back while i was working on mine and i am undecided which i like better i have a sport so i had that full nice console that everyone loves however i'm not a huge fan of it bc it totally seperates driver and passenger and i like to have my foot up on the center hump ... but i'm probably going to finish those seats up and put them in and see if i can adjust back and if not pull them and sell em lol
Old 09-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #24
Matt
SRT-10 Member

hated the dip in the console so i filled it with 2 part foam and then i covered that with some duraglass (basically fiberglass chopped up and body filler) and then covered it with a cover ... still have to trim it and finish but it goes nicely with my seats ...

Old 09-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #25
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Wow dude. Do you do interiors professionally?

On the dip in the console, are you just talking about how it naturally starts to sag because there's no support there? I HATED that on my '04.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #26
Matt
SRT-10 Member

nope if you see on the top there's a big dip in the center ... my arm would natrually fall into that dip and it was too far over lol (little things bug me) so i filled it in ... on a side note i'm going to paint my top cover and the bezel gloss black just like that ..

and not really lol i mean i've done a lot but i stick to normally just 12volt work but i can do it all ... thinking about opening a shop in a smaller town and if that happens then yeah i'll pretty much be doing it all
Old 09-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #27
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

Man that's some awesome work you've done, pretty good idea on the console... might have to do that to my dads truck
Old 09-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #28
myoung84
Super Moderator

Very nice work!

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Shocks | AirLift 100 Air Bags
Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug
myoung84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #29
Matt
SRT-10 Member

thanks man it's never done lol hopefully one day i can leave well enough alone
Old 09-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #30
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

I had no idea that the 06+ console was like that..wtf were they thinking?

Very nice work dude.