Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Dodge Ram > Build Threads

Build Threads The place to put a truck build thread that is constantly updated.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Okiespaniels
Coffee, Gas, Ammo. Set!

Default My Ram's story/build thread.

Y'know folks, every story has a starting point, and my rams story is no different. But after 11 years, I don't think of my truck in a "build up" mentality, rather a series of stops and starts where mods or repairs were done and then enjoyed. Then redone, repainted or added too, enjoyed, done....etc.

This thread will be different. It will go backward to the beginning, and document the middle period of experimentation, adaptation and soul searching. Then it will document the latest progress and the constant battle between chaos and order and form vs function. If you're not into street philosophy then think of it as the Triple Crown winner who wants to work like a Clydesdale or vice versa.

So, back in the summer of 2001 I found myself in Mesa Arizona, divorced, angry, and alone, not always by choice. I had worked my way out of the hole of debt from my marrage by working two jobs and had some disposable cash. My '78 Ramcharger would not pass the stringent Arizona smog tests because the smog stuff had been gone for years, and I thought I needed a reward, and an escape from the stress of big city life. The desert beckoned and I harkened to her siren song. Y'all know about the sirens from Jason and the Argonauts right?

I found this truck in the back lot of a place called Trucks R' Us in Mesa. The back lot as you know is not the place where the cool lifted trucks hang out. But the price was right, they took my Ramcharger, and it was my birthday. Plus this truck had the right stuff for off roading. Vinyl flooring (no hard to maintain carpet) base interior, Trailer package with HD cooling, bedliner (to hide all the holes in the bed) and 3:55 gears, Rear LSD. and the 5.9. Also no POWER stuff. Wind up windows, manual door locks, etc. Yes it had cruise, AC and a stereo. Also the chrome rims and half worn 285/16 At's.

To me it was the perfect starting point for a work truck/weekend off road toy. So the deal was struck...

I don't have a lot of pics from that time, but one has survived the hard drive wipes and viruses. It's of my first off road foray about 20 miles outside of the East valley in the summer of 2001. The time sig says 2006, because that was a save and repost in a now defunct forum. A few days after this post some tweaker tried to steal my Ram. Hadn't made a payment on it yet! Glad he failed but he did over 600 dollars damage to the door and column. First mod..a club!

Hope you'll enjoy the ride.

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 08-06-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Okiespaniels is offline   Reply With Quote