Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Dodge Ram > Interior

Old 09-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Default Interior remodel

Well, I finally decided to do something with the little bit of money I had to play with (or some of it at least) and also to do something more focused on me and my driving experience with the truck rather than try to find something on the exterior to mess with.

One of my favorite things to do on this truck is to try and fix the issues with Dodge's design, like leaving the tailgate handle and antenna base in textured black plastic. In a similar fashion, I like changing things about the truck that I think Dodge missed the mark on, like lighting and the sound system (which I still haven't done.)

Anyway, a ton of people have painted their interior plastics to match or even done some really cool stuff with hydrodipping. Mine are painted to match, and I like that. Hell, I even had custom door inserts cut out and I painted them to match as well to pull the truck's color to the doors as well.

One of my biggest issues with the interior is the fact that everything from the pillars up are tan despite the fact that the rest of the interior is black. My first thought was to paint the plastics and have the headliner recovered. However, everything I've been told and read online about interior paints left me worried about durability over time. I then talked to an upholstery shop about wrapping my pillars in fabric. The problem there is that the grab handles would have to be stitched. Most wouldn't touch it and those that said they would "try" priced it like they were working on a Lamborghini.

This got me thinking and spitballing an idea with a few people...so I pulled the A and B pillars out of the truck:

And sent them off to have the handles and bolt holes shaved. I know what you are thinking about the bolt holes, but after some trial and error, I figure that the bolts were only because the pillars had grab handles. Now the pillars will be held in place with the clips, as they were originally, and I may place some small pieces of double sided tape behind them as well, if I think its necessary. Here they are, as I received them today. Handles cut off, those holes and the bolt holes fiberglassed over, and then some bondo and primer. They aren't shaped exactly as I hoped, but I found that my way was virtually impossible without totally rebuilding them with glass and bondo.

Now the plan is to order both foam backed black ultrasuede and non-foam backed black ultrasuede. I'll be covering the headliner, visors, and all A, B, and C pillars. The very small remaining pieces will be painted/dyed black.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
myoung84
Super Moderator

Can't wait to see some more progress! I too don't understand why the roof and pillars are tan...

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Shocks | AirLift 100 Air Bags
Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug
myoung84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

Hell yeah. I hate the tan crap they put in them. My Dakota is the same way and I'm wanting to get it changed to black somehow.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
(S.M.R) 101
Outdoorsman Member

I'm excited about this one dude! Going to look amazing!

"Oilfield Outlaw"
(S.M.R) 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
Okiespaniels
Coffee, Gas, Ammo. Set!

Very unique David...(whispers) and you know how I dig unique mods...

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 09-10-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Okiespaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
DoubleTakeDodge
James

Send a message via Skype™ to DoubleTakeDodge

That's a really cool idea to remove the grab handles. Clean up the pillars and make the covering easier. Very nice.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Not much progress on this during the week due to school and work. I should be ordering my microsuede, glue, and paint tonight.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
916Timmy
Hemi Gangsta!!!!

Hey Dave, how hard is it to get all the center dash pieces apart to paint? I need some cheap time killer and your work has inspired me!

BellTech 963SP / InTune / Volant / Fastman / Magnaflow / Moroso AOS / 180 T-Stat / Mech Fan Delete & V-6 E-Fan / Amsoil
14.574 @ 97.82 3.21 gears, full street trim, 5120 pounds on the scale!!!
916Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Nothing crazy.

1. Take out the two screws under the little sunglasses holder (top of center stack, lift the rubber insert out)
2. Pry off the cover around the AC outlet and take out one screw.
3. Take out the two screws under the large pocket area (under the center stack, forward of your console shifter). It's also under the little rubber insert.
4. Carefully pry out the chrome trim ring around the shifter. Use a small flat head to work out the tabs.
5. Pull the main vertical center stack straight out.
6. Pull the lower piece around the shift straight up.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Material is officially ordered.