Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Members' Area > The Lounge

The Lounge The place to hang out and discuss random things that have nothing to do with Dodge Rams.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #2211
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

The plan is this:

Short-term: clean it up, fix any issues, drive it
Long-term:

Body: Shaved antenna and key lock holes, nothing else. I'm leaving the door handles and tailgate handle alone. Custom paint but nothing wild. Something that says that it's someone's baby without trying to make it look like a brand new truck. The best way to explain it is the way that the Eleanor Mustang is painted. Clearly custom, but not modern.

Suspension: No bags, no frame hacking. Think auto-cross. Big sway bars, coil-overs, dropped about 3/5ish.

Drivetrain: LS1, T56, 4.10s...you know, the simple things.

Interior: Sound that's crisp and clean, probably black but maybe a different color scheme, buckets
Old 03-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #2212
myoung84
Super Moderator

That sounds like a sweet plan!

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Shocks | AirLift 100 Air Bags
Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug
myoung84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #2213
myoung84
Super Moderator

So I'm thinking about downsizing again. I keep seeing the money that goes out each month for the Power Wagon and ask myself why. It's costing me about $1200 a month just to own and operate it 1000 miles per month (including payment, insurance, gas, maintenance, etc). I can't give up a truck and I can't give up a good family vehicle. The truck is not a good family traveling vehicle and the Jeep obviously isn't a truck. Keep in mind that I also have a company car that's 100% free to operate. Sure it's a 2010 Impala that has 0 cool factor, but it works and I'm sure my company will roll out some new vehicles before too terribly long.

So crunched some numbers this morning. I'm actually in pretty good shape trade in wise on both vehicles. I'd lose some money on the truck but I could easily make up for it with a partial part out. I'd have to leave the wheels and tires on it but I would strip all the expensive Carli goodies and go back to stock. There's also a lot of other little items that would be worth a few bucks like the on-board air, lighting, headers, stereo, bed cover, tuner, throttle body, etc.

So what would fill the gap from both vehicles? A 1500 diesel. I built fully loaded Laramie, Longhorn and Limited 4wd trucks with the 3.0L diesel and air suspension and they are all in the $56-58k range and I would expect to see about $8-10k off that price. This fills the need for a family vehicle and a truck, and to be honest, the truck actually works better for us for traveling because I have a ton more cargo space with a bed cover. The rough ride and 10 mpg kills it though. So what am I losing? Basically a $1200 per month toy. Sure it's fun as hell to go play around, but I do have a nice ATV that also fills that gap.

What I also lose, and quite possibly the final nail in the coffin, is when I'm in the truck my wife is more or less vehicle-less. She really isn't supposed to drive my company car and quite frankly she wouldn't want to. This wouldn't happen very often, but it would happen. So, as I read all of this again, I realize that it's not really feasible. There's just no way around having a spare vehicle unless my company vehicle was a truck. What I could do is trade the PW in on a less expensive 1500 and still save a few hundred dollars per month, but is that really worth it? To be completely honest, I'm kind of over the whole 2500 thing.

One of these would be a great replacement...

Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Old 03-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #2214
(S.M.R) 101
Outdoorsman Member

Originally Posted by myoung84 View Post
So I'm thinking about downsizing again. I keep seeing the money that goes out each month for the Power Wagon and ask myself why. It's costing me about $1200 a month just to own and operate it 1000 miles per month (including payment, insurance, gas, maintenance, etc). I can't give up a truck and I can't give up a good family vehicle. The truck is not a good family traveling vehicle and the Jeep obviously isn't a truck. Keep in mind that I also have a company car that's 100% free to operate. Sure it's a 2010 Impala that has 0 cool factor, but it works and I'm sure my company will roll out some new vehicles before too terribly long.

So crunched some numbers this morning. I'm actually in pretty good shape trade in wise on both vehicles. I'd lose some money on the truck but I could easily make up for it with a partial part out. I'd have to leave the wheels and tires on it but I would strip all the expensive Carli goodies and go back to stock. There's also a lot of other little items that would be worth a few bucks like the on-board air, lighting, headers, stereo, bed cover, tuner, throttle body, etc.

So what would fill the gap from both vehicles? A 1500 diesel. I built fully loaded Laramie, Longhorn and Limited 4wd trucks with the 3.0L diesel and air suspension and they are all in the $56-58k range and I would expect to see about $8-10k off that price. This fills the need for a family vehicle and a truck, and to be honest, the truck actually works better for us for traveling because I have a ton more cargo space with a bed cover. The rough ride and 10 mpg kills it though. So what am I losing? Basically a $1200 per month toy. Sure it's fun as hell to go play around, but I do have a nice ATV that also fills that gap.

What I also lose, and quite possibly the final nail in the coffin, is when I'm in the truck my wife is more or less vehicle-less. She really isn't supposed to drive my company car and quite frankly she wouldn't want to. This wouldn't happen very often, but it would happen. So, as I read all of this again, I realize that it's not really feasible. There's just no way around having a spare vehicle unless my company vehicle was a truck. What I could do is trade the PW in on a less expensive 1500 and still save a few hundred dollars per month, but is that really worth it? To be completely honest, I'm kind of over the whole 2500 thing.

One of these would be a great replacement...

I absolutely hear you about being over the "2500 Thing" I loved my truck so much but it didn't seem logical to keep it..

I tell you what man. after going from the 2500 to this 1500 with all the goodies.... I have not really even felt that really big hole that most people get after getting rid of a truck they spent a lot of time and money on.

I thought about waiting for the eco diesel to come out but the fact that I basically stole this truck from the dealer, I couldn't resist.

Hope it works out for you Morgan!

"Oilfield Outlaw"
(S.M.R) 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #2215
(S.M.R) 101
Outdoorsman Member

Originally Posted by BMRbrnSNRbrd View Post
The plan is this:

Short-term: clean it up, fix any issues, drive it
Long-term:

Body: Shaved antenna and key lock holes, nothing else. I'm leaving the door handles and tailgate handle alone. Custom paint but nothing wild. Something that says that it's someone's baby without trying to make it look like a brand new truck. The best way to explain it is the way that the Eleanor Mustang is painted. Clearly custom, but not modern.

Suspension: No bags, no frame hacking. Think auto-cross. Big sway bars, coil-overs, dropped about 3/5ish.

Drivetrain: LS1, T56, 4.10s...you know, the simple things.

Interior: Sound that's crisp and clean, probably black but maybe a different color scheme, buckets
So awesome man. After the time is spent and attention to detail that you have I think it's going to be a really bad ass mid size truck man!

Can't wait to watch the start of it.

"Oilfield Outlaw"
Old 03-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #2216
myoung84
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by (S.M.R) 101 View Post
I absolutely hear you about being over the "2500 Thing" I loved my truck so much but it didn't seem logical to keep it..

I tell you what man. after going from the 2500 to this 1500 with all the goodies.... I have not really even felt that really big hole that most people get after getting rid of a truck they spent a lot of time and money on.

I thought about waiting for the eco diesel to come out but the fact that I basically stole this truck from the dealer, I couldn't resist.

Hope it works out for you Morgan!
I'll miss the wagon, but I won't feel bad for letting it go. I'm honestly bored with it. I also don't have the time to do the offroad excursions that I had hoped to do when I bought it. I've half way convinced myself to trade her in, just need to convince the wife.

I've talked myself out of the air suspension and I'm still not sure if I'd want the Hemi or Diesel. There's just something about that Longhorn Diesel that's drawing me in. If I got the Hemi it would instantly have headers and a tuner...

Old 03-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #2217
Administrator

56-58K?

Ummm........I know that won't be the out the door price, but FACK

I have toyed with the idea of a new truck.....but I just can't walk away from a 22,2xx mile truck......even if it is almost 4 years old now
Old 03-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #2218
myoung84
Super Moderator

Well, I pissed off the wife. Lol

Old 03-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #2219
myoung84
Super Moderator

That's fully loaded with the diesel and air suspension. If it's a replacement truck for me, it won't have the air suspension and won't have a sunroof. That will save about $2600. I'd also get the Laramie model since you can't get the longhorn or limited with a bench seat I'm looking at something more in the low $50k msrp.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #2220
(S.M.R) 101
Outdoorsman Member

Alrady pissed the wife off? lol

Emily was actually very supportive of getting back into a 1500.

I did test drive a 1500 with the air suspension.... To be honest... I really didn't feel the difference to offset the price of the air suspension.

I love the Hemi with my current set up with the 3.92 and 8 speed.. I laugh when I stomp it because of the difference from the 2500... And this bitch is still stock! can't wait to start adding stuff to it.

I didn't want a sun roof, but like stated it had it and the price was unbeatable.

"Oilfield Outlaw"