Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Members' Area > The Lounge

The Lounge The place to hang out and discuss random things that have nothing to do with Dodge Rams.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Default Bike clutch help? (Matt or Timmy?)

Since I bought my bike it's had a small oil leak. I recently decided to fix that and found that the leak was coming from the alternator cover. The bike's previous owner had dropped the bike at low speed and apparently the alternator cover took the brunt of the damage...it's obvious someone hammered it out and most likely welded a crack...that's not my issue, but I found that they had use a gasket maker instead of a true gasket and that had started leaking.

I drained the bike by simply cracking open the alternator cover and letting it drain. After cleaning the surfaces and installing the gasket, I found that I had either lost or the previous owner had not installed one of the dowel pins that are used to hold the cover in place. Instead of installing everything incorrectly, I simply covered everything up, ordered the pin, and waited.

The pin came in today and I reinstalled everything to spec and refilled the bike with Rotella T 5w-40 (recommended). For some reason the clutch will not disengage now. The only way to start the bike is to have it in Neutral. Once the bike is running and I attempt to pull the clutch lever and put it in gear, the bike dies as if the clutch lever is not pulled....what's the connection between what I did and the problem I'm having?
Old 09-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
916Timmy
Hemi Gangsta!!!!

You might have messed up the linkage beneath the cover....not too sure!

BellTech 963SP / InTune / Volant / Fastman / Magnaflow / Moroso AOS / 180 T-Stat / Mech Fan Delete & V-6 E-Fan / Amsoil
14.574 @ 97.82 3.21 gears, full street trim, 5120 pounds on the scale!!!
916Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Matt
SRT-10 Member

yeah i'm kind of at a loss as well... unless for some reason something in the clutch pack dried out or something without having oil in it .... but i'm just shooting guesses .... does the clutch have a normal pull to it? if it has resistance it shouldn't be the linkage i would think
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

I figured it out and now get to wear the dipshit hat...kind of.

My bike has a stand trigger that kills the bike if you put it in gear and forgot to put the stand up to keep you from dumping it. I guess at one point while wrenching I accidentally bumped it and it was about half unplugged. All good now!

Thanks for trying though guys.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
Matt
SRT-10 Member

yeah mine had that too... can't stand it so now it doesn't have it lol
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #6
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

Lol we all deserve a moment like that every once in awhile, glad you got it figured out