Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Dodge Ram > Exterior

Old 10-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
swirvin21
V6 Member

Default Advice on Headlamp Replacements

Needing new headlamps on both my 1998 Ram and my 2003 Ram and looking for advice on good manufacturers and designs. I don't need anything super fancy, but would consider HID or Xenon, etc if it was only a little more expensive and better quality.

My '03 is just fogged beyond repair IMO, could probably pull them and ship them out to have them redone. Doesn't someone on here build some pretty awesome lights or does he just paint them?

I'd prefer something with less chrome, be awesome if someone made a black chrome reflector or something. Anyway, please pass on your advice and experiences, need to start getting things together.
swirvin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Administrator

I do lights.

I'll be honest.......it all depends on your budget.

we can build all sorts of neat shit, but ....... well, its not cheap

You can easily be done for under 250 on BOTH trucks too. eBay. (for some black ones)

I dont' stock anything for the 2nd gen, but the 03 I have stock looking lights for $95 shipped.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
shawnu
Hemi Member

Like he said^^ if your just looking for something black house for those body styles...ebay or amazon would be your best bet. Run a extra bead of silicone around the seam tho...the cheaper ones are known for not being sealed properly and youll end up with water in them nice new headlights.

Me on the otherhand...the cheapest i can find is ~$200, how much would you charge to black my housings?
shawnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
swirvin21
V6 Member

I wish I knew my budget <sigh> seems like every little thing throws off the whole tower. Nothing like having a pregnant wife while trying to move and sell a house....ugh!

My 2nd gen was in a wreck and the plastic mounting housing is broken on the driver side at minimum, haven't pulled things apart for fear of humpty not being put together again!

Both of them are currently in TX in semi-storage since the '03 needs the flat bed finished and the trans fixed, while the 2nd gen is just plain broke. I'd be very interested in knowing what my options are. I'd definitely prefer to support you than some chinese company, so give me some ideas and we can go from there.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
Administrator

Originally Posted by shawnu View Post
Me on the otherhand...the cheapest i can find is ~$200, how much would you charge to black my housings?
We start our paintjobs at $235. That includes labor, shipping in the lower 48 and a real paint job....no rattle can bombin' here.

Originally Posted by swirvin21 View Post
I wish I knew my budget <sigh> seems like every little thing throws off the whole tower. Nothing like having a pregnant wife while trying to move and sell a house....ugh!

My 2nd gen was in a wreck and the plastic mounting housing is broken on the driver side at minimum, haven't pulled things apart for fear of humpty not being put together again!

Both of them are currently in TX in semi-storage since the '03 needs the flat bed finished and the trans fixed, while the 2nd gen is just plain broke. I'd be very interested in knowing what my options are. I'd definitely prefer to support you than some chinese company, so give me some ideas and we can go from there.
I hear ya man, setting the $$ for mods can be fun! I'll ballpark it......

Basically, our 2nd gens start at 560. 02-05s are $600. At those prices, they aren't painted, but we can start with a blacked out version of the lights. Each would include projectors and mini shrouds, HIDs, labor and shipping in the lower 48. Total swapover from stock to pure HID goodness
Old 10-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
swirvin21
V6 Member

I'm very interested in doing the swap to HID on the '03 since it's going to be our tow rig for hauling our expensive horses, well worth the extra light! I'm trying to think of how to afford that right now, but my question would be whether or not the fogging would come back on the lamps?

I may also be interested in having my wife's '07 Yukon done....maybe you have a package deal for multiple vehicles? Or I can collect a good number of headlamp cores for you, even just parts. My connections with body shops could net a good a good supply of internal parts to every make/model, HID, Xenon, etc if that's something you'd be willing to work with me on.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #7
Administrator

The fogging typically only happens if they aren't kept up on. A good wax on the heads 2x a year will do a great job to keep that away.

On the Yukon, we can do that too! If we do the order at the same time, we can work something up

Honestly though, I don't need a bunch of parts here. I'm overrun with stuff already! Its nuts!

Hit me up in email bud, we can figure it all out. [email protected]