Old 01-16-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

Default At a loss...

So I tried helping a buddy install a new headunit. Well I wired everything correctly but his two kicker subs wont work now. And what's weird is the remote on/off wire is powering the amp without the power wire plugged in. How is that possible? And could it have fried the rca's?
Old 01-16-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
Matt
SRT-10 Member

Originally Posted by ramthis9501 View Post
So I tried helping a buddy install a new headunit. Well I wired everything correctly but his two kicker subs wont work now. And what's weird is the remote on/off wire is powering the amp without the power wire plugged in. How is that possible? And could it have fried the rca's?
did it work before the headunit change - if so what else did you change? do you have a multi meter(volt meter) and you hooked the remote wire up to the blue/white wire on the back of the headunit?
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

It worked before but he was running it off a stock unit with everything hooked into a line out converter. I did find out though that he had the remote wire hooked into the 12 volt accessory wire, but when I took it of there and hooked it into the remote wire coming off the radio like it should be, it was still powering the amp without the hot power wire.

And I didn't think of a multimeter, but either way, I think the hot wire got screwed somehow. I told him to take it somewhere and let them have a look at it because I gave up.

And I don't know how, but it seems the remote wire was getting a constant power from somewhere. If he doesn't get it figured out, I'm just going to help rip everything out and start from scratch.

Last edited by ramthis9501; 01-16-2012 at 11:42 AM.
ramthis9501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Matt
SRT-10 Member

Originally Posted by ramthis9501 View Post
It worked before but he was running it off a stock unit with everything hooked into a line out converter. I did find out though that he had the remote wire hooked into the 12 volt accessory wire, but when I took it of there and hooked it into the remote wire coming off the radio like it should be, it was still powering the amp without the hot power wire.

And I didn't think of a multimeter, but either way, I think the hot wire got screwed somehow. I told him to take it somewhere and let them have a look at it because I gave up.

And I don't know how, but it seems the remote wire was getting a constant power from somewhere. If he doesn't get it figured out, I'm just going to help rip everything out and start from scratch.
which is correct when you have a stock radio there is no "remote" wire

the power wire has nothing to do with it if all you did was replace the radio -- the power wire is a heavy gauge wire running directly to the battery correct?

so just curious as to why you even pulled the power wire from the amp -- what you need to do is trace the remote wire and make sure it's not tagged anywhere else if need be cut and cap off the old one and run a new one no need to rip everything out its only 1 small wire that's the issue ... also make sure the power wire is connected good if it has a bunch of wires hanging off of it maybe 1 is touching the remote side of it
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

Yes the power wire is running straight to the battery. We pulled the remote wire, but not all the way, so maybe something else was tapped into it. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
LowRam
Jon

I dont like doing it but I know people who just put a toggle on the remote wire..
like my cousin and his buddys. but id do what matt suggested
LowRam is offline   Reply With Quote