Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Dodge Ram > Build Threads

Build Threads The place to put a truck build thread that is constantly updated.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #451
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

Damn dude looks like alot of work! Your installing train horns right?
Old 10-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #452
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

I don't think he is right now. He's installing an on-board air system for airing his tires up after going offroad.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #453
myoung84
Super Moderator

It is a lot of work (and $$$) to do it right and do it clean. I could have done it quicker and cheaper but I didn't want a hack job. Things like the wore loom and fused distribution block instead of a couple wires crimped together are what make it look like a stock installation.

The plan is to eventually add train horns, but not right now. Like I said, my main reason for on board air is to air up tires. Having air for train horns was just a bonus.

Edit: Beat me to it Dave...

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Shocks | AirLift 100 Air Bags
Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug
myoung84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #454
myoung84
Super Moderator

Another reason for on board air is just because I can. It's only money, right?

Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Old 10-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #455
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

I've always loved the idea of a self-sufficient truck, especially in something like a Power Wagon variety. Lots of light, tools, on-board air, radio (transmission, not entertainment), etc is badass. If I lived in Arizona I would have a totally different kind of truck.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #456
myoung84
Super Moderator

I would LOVE to have this truck in Arizona or even somewhere like Utah. I'd be at Moab all the time!

I've actually started making a list of some other crap I want. A Hi-Lift jack with all the accessories is on the list. The one time I had this truck stuck with nothing in front of me to winch on, a Hi-Lift with the tire lifting attachment would have been a life saver.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #457
precisioninstalls

Looks good, if you get horns get the trainblaster ones, only way to go.
precisioninstalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #458
Okiespaniels
Coffee, Gas, Ammo. Set!

Originally Posted by BMRbrnSNRbrd View Post
I've always loved the idea of a self-sufficient truck, especially in something like a Power Wagon variety. Lots of light, tools, on-board air, radio (transmission, not entertainment), etc is badass. If I lived in Arizona I would have a totally different kind of truck.
Originally Posted by myoung84 View Post
I would LOVE to have this truck in Arizona or even somewhere like Utah. I'd be at Moab all the time!

I've actually started making a list of some other crap I want. A Hi-Lift jack with all the accessories is on the list. The one time I had this truck stuck with nothing in front of me to winch on, a Hi-Lift with the tire lifting attachment would have been a life saver.
I understand that...my truck was different when I lived in Arizona than it is now. High lifts, an air compressor or C0 bottle and a cb are mandatory for serious off roading.
I was I was there today...
Okiespaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #459
myoung84
Super Moderator

I'm 100% done with the system. I got my airline, fittings, and Loctite 545 in the mail on Monday and finished up the final plumbing. I flipped the switch on to start the compressors and nothing happened. I started checking fuses, all were good. Then checked the relays, both were functioning correctly. Checked voltage at the distribution block, relays, and compressors, everything was showing 0V. When I turned the switch off then I had 12V at the distribution block and one side of the relay, just as I should. Turned the switch back on, and 0V everywhere. Check fuses again, two on the distribution block and one at the battery, all ohmed out good. I was frustrated and tired so I called it a day. I went to school for electrical engineering, I shouldn't be having these problems.

Went back out yesterday with a clear head and it was obvious what was wrong. With the switch off, I had 12V right after the fuse at the battery, but with it on, it went to 0V. I replaced the 60A glass fuse and the compressors fired up. Not sure why I didn't try this the day before. I've never seen a fuse that would ohm out good but be open when a load was applied. Very odd...

I then decided that I didn't like the location of my quick connect, so I got some 1/4" air hose and routed it to the rear of the truck. It's mounted to a strip of aluminum and covered in plasti-dip. I covered the quick connect with a rubber table end I got from the hardware store. I used hose barbs and hose clamps for this connection, I hope it doesn't leak over time. If it does, I'll replace it with some DOT airline and compression fittings. So far, I don't see any leaks. I'll let it sit for a few days then see if I've lost any pressure. Fill time from 0 psi to 145 psi was just under 3 minutes. I've got my tire inflation gun and about 20' of air hose that I will keep in the truck. This will reach all of the truck tires as well as the tires on most trailers.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #460
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Dude, I absolutely love the look! What a kickass place for an air hookup.