Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Dodge Ram > Performance

Old 02-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
WhiteLightning
Brody Moses

Default Suggestions?

Im looking into getting a shift kit and torque converter to try and preserve my stock transmission. Does anyone have any suggestions of some good ones and if possible wallet friendly ones? I found one from from TCI for 1300 that guarentees a stock tranny to 600hp but im not very familiar with them. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
nightmatt
lifted member

never heard of them but I haven't done much research on diesel stuff. mostly all the guys I know just step up and go with a name brand they know works ATS. trans

Last edited by nightmatt; 02-24-2012 at 01:39 PM.
nightmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Graygoose
new but not Newb

stay away from TCI....I'm new here, tell me more about your truck, year, etc?

Graygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
WhiteLightning
Brody Moses

Originally Posted by Graygoose View Post
stay away from TCI....I'm new here, tell me more about your truck, year, etc?
Thanks for that tip. It's a 2000 reg cab dually 5.9l 24 valve cummins. Bone stock for now, but I have alot of plans for it and I'd like to beef up the tranny a little before I start pouring power to it.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
WhiteLightning
Brody Moses

Originally Posted by nightmatt View Post
never heard of them but I haven't done much research on diesel stuff. mostly all the guys I know just step up and go with a name brand they know works ATS. trans
Yeah but when I'm working for everything I have every penny saved is a penny earned if it's going to be of equal quality. I'm not going to pay an extra 250 just to get the sticker.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
Graygoose
new but not Newb

Originally Posted by WhiteLightning View Post
Thanks for that tip. It's a 2000 reg cab dually 5.9l 24 valve cummins. Bone stock for now, but I have alot of plans for it and I'd like to beef up the tranny a little before I start pouring power to it.
the diesel converters are very expensive, and kinda would be counter productive in a diesel. A converter lets the transmission 'slip' to a higher RPM to get into tourque curve faster, like a larger cam would do. Like an after market cam raises power range from 1400-5000 to say 2000-6000.
A diesel motor makes low end grunt. So you would slip past the torque curve.
Best mods are simply a good muffler and exhaust. ( I have a 4"Flowmaster muffler that would work for you brand new for sale, or trade but see my PM too ) that would help, along with a tuner.
Those two mods alone are worth a ton in power.

Graygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

^ What he said
Old 02-25-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
Lt.Dan
Jerrod Ellis

Mine has a locking torque converter but am unsure of the brand of it. I flipped it but theyre mostly for hauling and what not if you're going fast with a big load.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:35 AM   #9
WhiteLightning
Brody Moses

Originally Posted by Lt.Dan View Post
Mine has a locking torque converter but am unsure of the brand of it. I flipped it but theyre mostly for hauling and what not if you're going fast with a big load.

im doing programmer and exhaust for sure right now, just dont want to go any further before i beef up my transmission, because eventually i wanna do injectors, lift pump, injection pump, HX40, and stacked tuners. possibly twins if i hit the lottery haha. i have a buddy with a truck thats been sitting for 4 weeks because he put too much power to his stock transmission and is now looking at 5k dollar bill to build a suncoast to hold up. just looking for a little insurance with out going ahead and sinking HUGE money into it. thanks for the tips tho guys
Old 02-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

Also get a cold air intake because with that big exhaust, you'll be pushing more out, so you want to bring more in to. Air that is lol that'll be perfection without going to crazy