Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Dodge Ram > Exterior

Old 10-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #21
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

Yeah I didn't think of silicone until I had already done it. If this doesn't work then I'll just do that.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #22
Matt
SRT-10 Member

this is going to work but you're missing the point ... you're going to cause further issues with moisture that's like drilling hole in a boat while on land to get the water out knowing you're going to put it back into water again and have the same issue you're fixing it with a temporary fix but will actually probably cause more issues then originally
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #23
myoung84
Super Moderator

I agree with Matt. Drilling holes will only make things worse. You need to dry it out completely and seal it up.

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Shocks | AirLift 100 Air Bags
Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug
myoung84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #24
Okiespaniels
Coffee, Gas, Ammo. Set!

Really? It isn't a boat guys...I don't know how that analogy works..?

Ok using the boat analogy, try this. The boat is already full of water,on the bottom of the lake. You cover the boat with a water tight balloon, then drill two holes. In one you insert a pump that pumps air into the balloon, forcing the water out the other. Eventually the balloon floats to the surface.

Thankfully your lights are tied down to the truck...however the water trapped in them that drains in from the fender runoff will drain out if deep enough. Then low pressure from the the air UNDER the lights when the truck is moving will suck the rest of it out and keep it dry.
Well, its worked for me the last two + years. Before that I was eating Silverstar bulbs after every major OK rain storm. I noticed the water was almost a half inch deep in the drivers housing after one gully washer. Having done this mod to other vehicles over the last 3 decades, I went and grabbed my drill. I't's not about turning your housing into swiss cheese. but makng sure it breathes just enough.
One hole might be enough for moisture, but I had to drain some serious flooding off.

Colton...I just reread your posts...and NO WHERE did I suggest you drill ANY holes in the TOPS of your housings! Now I know why your friends are questioning my intellegence!
You will need to fill the holes in the tops ASAP! That will NOT work...ok?

OMG, talk about overthinking. I don't know whether to LMAO, Cuss as only a Father can, or continue to shake my head in disbelief.

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 10-05-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Okiespaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #25
Matt
SRT-10 Member

Originally Posted by Okiespaniels View Post
Really? It isn't a boat guys...I don't know how that analogy works..?

Ok using the boat analogy, try this. The boat is already full of water,on the bottom of the lake. You cover the boat with a water tight balloon, then drill two holes. In one you insert a pump that pumps air into the balloon, forcing the water out the other. Eventually the balloon floats to the surface.

Thankfully your lights are tied down to the truck...however the water trapped in them that drains in from the fender runoff will drain out if deep enough. Then low pressure from the the air UNDER the lights when the truck is moving will suck the rest of it out and keep it dry.
Well, its worked for me the last two + years. Before that I was eating Silverstar bulbs after every major OK rain storm. I noticed the water was almost a half inch deep in the drivers housing after one gully washer. Having done this mod to other vehicles over the last 3 decades, I went and grabbed my drill. I't's not about turning your housing into swiss cheese. but makng sure it breathes just enough.
One hole might be enough for moisture, but I had to drain some serious flooding off.

Colton...I just reread your posts...and NO WHERE did I suggest you drill ANY holes in the TOPS of your housings! Now I know why your friends are questioning my intellegence!
You will need to fill the holes in the tops ASAP! That will NOT work...ok?

OMG, talk about overthinking. I don't know whether to LMAO, Cuss as only a Father can, or continue to shake my head in disbelief.
the analogy is this: ... drilling a hole in something that shouldn't have any to begin with bc its a completely sealed object is a temporary fix bc it shouldn't have a moisture problem to begin with ... ie a headlight shouldn't be getting water in it ... much like a boat .... so drilling a hole in both will help drain the moisture out BUTTT also has the ability to allow even more moisture in it

if you read the original post he got them fogged up with moisture after a car wash ... which means he has a lens that has a bad sealing problem and by drilling holes you just made a bad situation worse ..every time he washes his truck he's going to get more moisture in it while yes it will have ability to drain out this is like putting a bandaid on a broken bone not fixing the actual issue to begin with
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #26
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

I just did this to get the moisture out, it worked to. I called the company and the guy said that I could get a new set of lights, so I'm just gonna do that instead. I'll call them later and get them ordered. There's no way they could do anything about the holes in the ones I have now because I'll already have the new ones before they get the old ones back.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #27
MegaCabMan
King of Fun

Originally Posted by ramthis9501 View Post
I just did this to get the moisture out, it worked to. I called the company and the guy said that I could get a new set of lights, so I'm just gonna do that instead. I'll call them later and get them ordered. There's no way they could do anything about the holes in the ones I have now because I'll already have the new ones before they get the old ones back.
I bet to order them they will want you to pay for another set then they will tell you that they will refund that amount when they get the defective set back. You will probably never see the refund.

Sorry not trying to be a Debby downer, just be careful. I don't want to see you get screwed.
MegaCabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #28
OklaHemi
SRT-10 Member

^^ that has happened to me once. price you pay for ebay.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #29
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

Didn't think of that one, thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna give them a call in a little bit and see what they say. If it comes to that, I'll just seal it up with some silicone. Wont hurt to try though.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #30
Okiespaniels
Coffee, Gas, Ammo. Set!

Originally Posted by Matt View Post
the analogy is this: ... drilling a hole in something that shouldn't have any to begin with bc its a completely sealed object is a temporary fix bc it shouldn't have a moisture problem to begin with ... ie a headlight shouldn't be getting water in it ... much like a boat .... so drilling a hole in both will help drain the moisture out BUTTT also has the ability to allow even more moisture in it

if you read the original post he got them fogged up with moisture after a car wash ... which means he has a lens that has a bad sealing problem and by drilling holes you just made a bad situation worse ..every time he washes his truck he's going to get more moisture in it while yes it will have ability to drain out this is like putting a bandaid on a broken bone not fixing the actual issue to begin with
Isn't a cast on a broken bone just a bigger band-aid? Just askin'? Right tool for the job and all that stuff.
Bandaid for you, but my wallet says permanent fix...no more expensive silverstar replacements.
I wouldn't waste my time on trying to cut and pry apart brittle plastic to re silicone. I suppose you could just smear some silicone over the joint and hope it works. Like a permanent cast.

Best of luck guys...I need to concentrate on my truck's current ailments and prepare it for surgery. Have a good 'n!

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 10-06-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Okiespaniels is offline   Reply With Quote