Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Dodge Ram > Build Threads

Build Threads The place to put a truck build thread that is constantly updated.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #21
swirvin21
V6 Member

I also finished installing my DOR steering brace on the Black Ram: http://www.dodgeoffroad.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1242

I also found myself some tow mirrors for my White Ram! Another Ram fan in the Tulsa area was kind enough to give me these mirrors after he sold his Ram and had no use for them. Always nice to make new friends! Thanks bud. :tu:

I also started getting the new bumper modified for the front of the Ram....ran into a bit of a snag. The bumper mounts are about 1/4" too narrow and can't quite clear the frame rails.

Cut a little off the front and will trim more off the bumper for under the headlights after I can get it on the truck.

So would you guys cut off one of the brackets on the bumper and scoot it over, or try to stretch the bumper mounts out, or squeeze the frame rails of the truck together. Remember, we're talking about a 1/4"....not much. Super Easy doing this with a spare front frame jig! And yes, the body mounts are cut off the jig. Figure I might as well move those things into a good location while I'm at it!
swirvin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #22
swirvin21
V6 Member

I installed a Class V hitch I found on Craigslist! Great condition and added a good bit of strength.

I managed to finally finish installing my exhaust on the truck. Threw some high temp primer and paint on a few places and installed stainless steel clamps so the system can be easily removed: 1 on each pipe forward of the cats, then 3 on the muffler (2 inlets, 1 outlet.)

You can see how I modified the stock muffler hangar with an old u-bolt cut in half to weld them together.

Finished cat w/ air pump connections. Replaced hoes where necessary.

And installed everything in the truck! Should be good as new. Just need to install the rebuilt valve body and I should be driving.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #23
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Holy hell batman. I don't even know where to start...what are the air pumps for on the cats?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #24
LowRam
Jon

it was me who gave the mirror bro
LowRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #25
swirvin21
V6 Member

Yeah man! Next time I bump into you I'll have to buy you a drink or two!! It's nice to know there are still guys out there who don't only care about money! Feel free to let me know if you ever need a hand and I'll bring some Coors Light!

The V10 runs an air pump that pumps oxygen into the catalytic converters through those lines. On a standard V8, the computer fluctuates the amount of fuel to allow the cats varying amounts of oxygen to properly breakdown the pollutants. That's why running too lean or rich can cause a cat to go bad and overheat or not break down pollutants. The V10 doesn't vary the fuel and instead pumps oxygen directly into the cats: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_air_injection

I'm hoping my back feels better and I can install the new valve body, but it's killing me and I don't think I'll be able to work under the truck! Maybe this weekend....
Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #26
swirvin21
V6 Member

Finished installing the rebuilt transmission valve body and doing the GM solenoid conversion, then slapped on the Hughes extra deep pan and JB welded a magnet to the drain plug. Poured in about 12 quarts of fluid and drove around the block! Everything shifted, no mean scary lights on the dash or problems. Had a horrible smell from the paint I put on the exhaust, but that will pass. Tightened up the collector bolts and got rid of a few leaks.

Now I need to get the seat belts permanently wired up, install the tow mirrors, new Borgeson box and shaft, FastMan throttle body, bumpers, tow wiring, gooseneck, alignment, freon recharge, shocks, etc. After it's together and running on the road for a few weeks, I'll start working on getting the D80 rear end put back together and collect parts for the front hub conversion. At that point I should be done for awhile! <crossed fingers>

The exhaust sounds good! Deep rumble, but not very loud. Didn't notice any bad noises in the cab. I'll try to get a video up in the next few days!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #27
LowRam
Jon

[QUOTE=swirvin21;18711] It's nice to know there are still guys out there who don't only care about money!QUOTE]

yea they werent doing me any good and my old ram was laid out so they werent going to ever be needed on there so i figure just give em to you so they could be put to use.
got my mustangs tranny leak fixed and did a shift kit and short trow shifter also. got it back last night and ive started doing more body mods on it.
LowRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #28
swirvin21
V6 Member

Picked up my rock rings for the 24 bolts H1 beadlocks! They will look SWEET!!!!!

I started cutting up the front bumper today, hoping to have something worthy of pics tomorrow. Otherwise I hope to at least have some beadlocks and basic maintenance completed in time for Wheelers For the Wounded this weekend in Disney, OK!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #29
swirvin21
V6 Member

Been kicking my own butt modifying this front bumper to fit. Been 3 test fits so far, but need probably 1 or 2 more to get it permanently mounted. Then, after I finally get the front radiator support mounts moved I'll be able to finalize and reinforce everything for the long haul.

Here's the 1st test fit after a few pieces being cut to get out of the way.

2nd test fit

3rd test fit......getting closer

This is where I left everything. Need to do some welding tomorrow and make a few more modifications to get it where I want. I had it higher originally and liked it more than I do now, but I think it was just a little too high for when I put a big boy winch in there. This is about as low as I want to go, but will add some small metal pieces to fill under the headlights. Right now my goal is to get it solidly mounted for WFTW this weekend....I'll make it pretty later!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #30
DoubleTakeDodge
James

Send a message via Skype™ to DoubleTakeDodge

lookin good man!! I like how strong that fron end looks and it's clearance!