Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Dodge Ram > General

Old 05-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Default What's next?

So I've got a little money to play with and I'm trying to decide what my truck needs next...it can't be anything too big as my wife and I made some decisions lately that affect our finances and big projects are out for a while, but here are a few I've been tossing around:

1. Interior: two toned plastics, black upper pillars (everyone knows the 3rd and 4th gens all have tan upper pillars), and black microsuede headliner and visors.

Thoughts: The ONLY thing that has made me second guess this is painting the upper pillars. I've heard great things about SEM but my concern is areas of constant use, such as the seatbelt hangers that will get rubbed daily by the seatbelt itself and the grab handles that don't get used as often but when they do there is more pressure applied.

2. Exterior: Shaved tailgate badge (not handle) and re-painted (professionally) two piece fuel door.

Thoughts: I like this but wonder if it's too subtle of a change to spend what little mod money I have on.

3. Flares: Everyone knows I've been itching for some but my current problem is the way the factory flares, such as Kyle's, are designed for the trucks with chrome front bumpers. As much as I love his truck, you can see the problem on Jeff (Lie2Me's) truck here:

I can't deal with the sudden stop but I'm not sure how to tackle it. NOW, there are aftermarket flares that go all the way down but they are much thinner, much more expensive, and I'm not sure I like the way they look going all the way down in front. The only idea I came up with was to have a factory set tapered down to a point in the front for a clean set but that will add to the cost, and I fear drastically.

4. Headers: I want them but will have to save a bit longer as I need things like new gaskets, stage 8 header bolts, and the exhaust work afterwards. Plus, the only ones in my budget are the JBA shorties and, as some can attest, the ship date is being constantly pushed back.

5: Give me some other ideas.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Administrator

flares. Look at Kevin's MG lifted truck (Musclemckeester) - those don't look bad at all, and I think flow great.

Flares kick ass.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
DoubleTakeDodge
James

Send a message via Skype™ to DoubleTakeDodge

I say go with option 1. I was planning on doing this in DBLTAKE this summer. I would avoid the painting though if possible. I don't know if they are available for 4th gens, but i was able to find black pillars for 3rd gens a while back. You should try to find them.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
Administrator

see, its not horrible....

Old 05-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Flares: I just can't do the sudden stop...if I don't like the look of something it's all I'll see when I look at the truck. HOWEVER, I am talking to a guy at work who's brother-in-law does paint and body about possibly doing the taper thing...

Interior: There are no black uppers. The aftermarket for these trucks is so slim.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
DoubleTakeDodge
James

Send a message via Skype™ to DoubleTakeDodge

Originally Posted by BMRbrnSNRbrd View Post
Flares: I just can't do the sudden stop...if I don't like the look of something it's all I'll see when I look at the truck. HOWEVER, I am talking to a guy at work who's brother-in-law does paint and body about possibly doing the taper thing...

Interior: There are no black uppers. The aftermarket for these trucks is so slim.
Well dang, that's no good. I was looking at SRT10 uppers for mine. I didn't even think about the fact that they don't make an SRT anymore
Old 05-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
myoung84
Super Moderator

That's a tough decision. I don't like the factory flares on the sports either, it just doesn't flow well for me. I say go with the black pillars and suede headliner. That would be awesome!

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Shocks | AirLift 100 Air Bags
Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug
myoung84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
myoung84
Super Moderator

If you really want some flares, these might go cheap...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laramie-Fend...19fafe&vxp=mtr

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Shocks | AirLift 100 Air Bags
Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug
myoung84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

Damn nice find Morgan!

I agree on the flares though, that sudden stop just doesn't flow right. BUT maybe you could get some extra pieces and make it wrap around to the bottom of the grille like Morgans truck is. Think that could be possible to do?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
Administrator

flares kick ass. just saying.

And I think on a 2wd, they look pimp.