Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Dodge Ram > Suspension

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Default Working on a 3/5 or 3/6

So, after telling everyone about how my new, shorter tires would allow me to lower the truck more, I gave it a shot last Thursday. A buddy from work and I tore the rear down, knocked a full coil off of my drop coils, and installed my Air Lift helper bags....and we GAINED an 1/8" over my original 4" drop!

So, after a little research and help from a DT member, we tore it down again, knocked another 1/2 coil off of the rear, and made sure to re-install while paying close attention to the spring isolators and their position. We got it put back together and I was back at my original 4" drop measurement. At this point I was too tired to mess with it anymore and just took it for a drive...what a disaster. It rode like it had rigid suspension in the rear.

After some thought, I ordered a new set of coil spring isolators. They came in Saturday and I decided to install them today after work, hoping that my height and especially my ride quality would improve. Well, it worked! Currently, with no air in the rear (which I can't have without damage to the bags) I'm at 34" in the rear. With the recommended 5 pounds of air, I'm at 34 1/4", which is acceptable. Also, my ride quality is back to the near stock quality of the 2/4 drop. I'm thinking that I may knock another 1/2 coil off of the rear. That, with a 1/2 coil knocked off of the fronts, should give me a near 3/6 drop and also put me within 1/2" of level.

Before:
2/4 McGaughy's Economy drop

Tonight:
2/5 Drop with Air Lift helper bags at 5 psi (within 1/4" of perfectly level)