Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Dodge Ram > General

Old 09-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

I think that unless you NEED them you should leave them off. I know a lot of people swear by them but I feel there's got to be a better way than slapping a huge set of dumbo ears on the truck.

As for the box, have you considered having Morgan build one for you? I know he's done a few in his day. (Sorry if I'm throwing you out there Morgan).
Old 09-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
myoung84
Super Moderator

I agree with David on the mirrors. The stock mirrors actually look a little better than the tows. I actually have a legitimate use for the tow mirrors or I wouldn't have swapped for them. When I have my ATV in the bed and the bed cover up against the back window, all I have is the side mirrors for rear visibility which suck for trying back my boat into tight places. I think backing a trailer will be 100x easier with the bigger, wider mirrors.

And on the box, I could help you build one or even walk you through building your own, but I have decided not to use my truck as a mold anymore. It makes my truck stink like ass for a couple months. Another option is a Fox Box, which actually fit in the 3rd gens without removing carpet and padding...

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Shocks | AirLift 100 Air Bags
Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug
myoung84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #13
(S.M.R) 101
Outdoorsman Member

yeah I just hate the bubble look of these mirrors dude.. Wish I could fit a set of 4th gen's on there.. I'll just get my money back, Tow Mirrors are out.

I was going to ask Morgan but I'd hate for him to have to use his truck again to do another box.. and nobody wants to make a custom box for me around here they are all like we only order boxes.....Dicks..

"Oilfield Outlaw"
(S.M.R) 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #14
myoung84
Super Moderator

For the amount of labor involved, most shops would charge you an arm and 2 legs to build a custom box. You're looking at around $75 in materials if you build your own.

What kind of tools do you have available? You could build one with a circular saw and a jig saw, but a table saw makes things a little easier. Then you just need the fiberglass mat and resin.

Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Old 09-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #15
(S.M.R) 101
Outdoorsman Member

I would have my brother in Arkansas build me one he makes amazing boxes but he is a dick and we do not get along very well.... so he's out

"Oilfield Outlaw"
Old 09-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #16
myoung84
Super Moderator

Lol.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #17
(S.M.R) 101
Outdoorsman Member

I was looking at the fox box for the 2 10's but not sure if I wanna go that route.. Not a fan of the new boxes they have in production right now.. Wish I could land on an old verison of the box but can't find one anywhere.

"Oilfield Outlaw"
Old 09-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #18
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Hell, just do a full custom setup and install the subs facing up IN the seats...that way the ladies that ride in the back will get a HELL of a ride!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #19
(S.M.R) 101
Outdoorsman Member

hahaha now that's an idea Dave!

"Oilfield Outlaw"
Old 09-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #20
Matt
SRT-10 Member

Originally Posted by (S.M.R) 101 View Post
yeah I just hate the bubble look of these mirrors dude.. Wish I could fit a set of 4th gen's on there.. I'll just get my money back, Tow Mirrors are out.

I was going to ask Morgan but I'd hate for him to have to use his truck again to do another box.. and nobody wants to make a custom box for me around here they are all like we only order boxes.....Dicks..
how much did you spend on them?? i like them on the lifted trucks but not so much on the stock size ones especially if you have wide tires

Originally Posted by myoung84 View Post
For the amount of labor involved, most shops would charge you an arm and 2 legs to build a custom box. You're looking at around $75 in materials if you build your own.

What kind of tools do you have available? You could build one with a circular saw and a jig saw, but a table saw makes things a little easier. Then you just need the fiberglass mat and resin.
exactly its alot more labor then most people think .. they want a custom box for 100 bucks and then want to get mad when you say no lol

btw i'm talking in general not about you lol
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote