Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Dodge Ram > Technical/Repair

Old 12-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
WillyBoy17

Default Heater Core

About a few months ago, my roommates heater core went out in his 2000 ram. Took it to Firestone and paid 700 bucks to get it fixed. This morning, I went outside to get something from my truck and there was a pool of coolant in my passenger side door, my heater core has followed suit. Anyone changed a heater core before? I have looked up online how to and saw different things, but I do believe I will not pay 700 bucks to fix it, college salaries are pretty low these days.....
WillyBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
Okiespaniels
Coffee, Gas, Ammo. Set!

It's a PITA but can be done and usually without removing/evacuating the A/C. I did mine 2 years ago. It was time consuming and I cracked my virgin dash, had it roll backwards into my gf's ranger and do lots of damage, BUT I prevailed.
You will want to do it where your truck will not roll and can be blocked into place.
DT has a couple of good writeups on doing it.
Okiespaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
WillyBoy17

So I have the dash off and everything ready. I pulled the clamps off the hoses and now I can't get the hoses off. How did you get the hoses off? I have read online that you just twist and pull. With the level of difficulty I am experiencing with pulling the hoses off, I wasn't sure if that was the right way? Thanks man
Old 12-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
LowRam
Jon

as far as having to take whole dash off i dont know. but if you have the clams off the hose all you do is pull and twist until the hose comes off it is difficult to do sometimes
LowRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

Try using a flathead screwdriver and pry it off, without ripping it of course.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
WillyBoy17

well i had to end up cutting the end off and i am going to have to splice the hose after its all complete. Were im screwed now is getting the heater core out. There is a bracket holding the heater core hoses down right next to fire wall on the inside of the truck that has a screw that I CANNOT reach at all and I cant figure out a way to get in there.....
Old 12-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

Do you have an angled screwdriver? Would that be able to get in there?
Old 12-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
WillyBoy17

no i dont have one of those, I am not sure. I have watched this video that said if you take the bracket that holds the computer on under the hood that I can pull the heater box out away from the firewall and unscrew it but that is where I am having trouble
Old 12-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

Dang... I'd be scared of pulling the computer out. Do you have a link to that video?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #10
Okiespaniels
Coffee, Gas, Ammo. Set!

Yes...you will have to remove your PCM. It isn't that big of deal, and theres at least one bolt holding the HVAC box to the firewall behind it. Be patient and carefully work the box back away from the firewall. You should be able to pop the clip clampon the A/C filter drier through the hole and you'll have enough room to do the swap.
Once the whole box is unfastened there is just enough room to get a screwdriver in there and remove the bracket.
Unfortunatly I had to bend the old heaters tubes to get it out, but thanks to the rotating tubes on the replacement. I was ble to work it in there
Okiespaniels is offline   Reply With Quote