Go Back   Oklahoma Ram Club > Dodge Ram > General

Old 11-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
myoung84
Super Moderator

Default Thinking of buying a Cummins...

Since I now have a company car and will not be driving the truck to and from work or fetching the weekly groceries,I am thinking about buying a 2500 4x4 Cummins... I have always wanted this truck but never bought one because of the amount of miles I drive and the stop and go driving everyday to work. The only times it will get driven is on trips when the company car is not practical or if I need to tow or haul something. It will get most it's miles in the summer dragging the boat around. I really don't need it, but it's something I have always wanted and now I'm confident I'm not going to be rough on engine with short grocery trips.

This is still 6+ months away,but I am already starting to plan and get excited. I have already started the wife approval process and she hasn't completely bashed the idea,so I'm off to a good start... I have already decided on a white 4x4 Crew cab short bed. The biggest decision I have to make is whether to buy new or used. The biggest determining factor will be warranty coverage on a used truck. I'm can't say I won't mod the truck,but the drive train will remain stock.

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Shocks | AirLift 100 Air Bags
Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug
myoung84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

Awesome man, imo get a used 05 or 06 with the 5.9. The new ones with the 6.7's just don't get as good mileage. Plus there are endless amounts of things you can do to the 5.9
Old 11-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
myoung84
Super Moderator

It will be a 6.7, got to have a 4th gen... I know I said I would have my truck for a long time, but if I get the Cummins I really want I won't be trading it any time soon.

Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Old 11-13-2011, 11:35 PM   #4
(S.M.R) 101
Outdoorsman Member

that would be tits dude... After the let down at the dealer it left me in no hurry to deal with it again..... But I have the itch to get one..

Good luck buddy

"Oilfield Outlaw"
(S.M.R) 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:42 PM   #5
myoung84
Super Moderator

I hope to start dealing this summer maybe, but not in a huge rush. I will most likely go with a new 2012 SLT 4x4 2500 crew cab but may consider a mega cab... I would like to see what they do with the 2013s before I make a final decision...

Old 11-14-2011, 01:37 AM   #6
Matt
SRT-10 Member

Originally Posted by ramthis9501 View Post
Awesome man, imo get a used 05 or 06 with the 5.9. The new ones with the 6.7's just don't get as good mileage. Plus there are endless amounts of things you can do to the 5.9
you and these 5.9's what is it that you think you can't do with a 6.7? and without the dpf shit on it they get great fuel mileage

i'm in the same boat been toying around a 4th gen cummins mega cab tho
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:55 AM   #7
(S.M.R) 101
Outdoorsman Member

I think his point was that the 6.7 does have the dpf and by deleting in will cause a voided warranty.. which I don't think you would want in a damn near 50 grand truck.. so until you hit 100K you would have to deal with the dpf

but that would be the first thing to go if I got a 4th gen 6.7... Voided Warranty or not

"Oilfield Outlaw"
(S.M.R) 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:03 AM   #8
Matt
SRT-10 Member

Originally Posted by (S.M.R) 101 View Post
I think his point was that the 6.7 does have the dpf and by deleting in will cause a voided warranty.. which I don't think you would want in a damn near 50 grand truck.. so until you hit 100K you would have to deal with the dpf

but that would be the first thing to go if I got a 4th gen 6.7... Voided Warranty or not
even with the dpf the mileage is a big increase over a hemi especially in the applications he will be using it in, and since morgan is going to leave the drivetrain stock it doesn't matter what things you can do to "hop" one up

i agree with you though the first thing i would do is yank the dpf on my personal truck, put a good tuner on it, straight pipe exhaust or some nice white trash stacks and be done with it lol
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

Sorry... guess I'm just a 5.9 junkie lol
Old 11-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #10
MegaCabMan
King of Fun

Now yall are talking my language! If you want a truck to mod on and what not better think real hard about getting a 3 gen or a high mileage 4th with no warranty. Because it is real hard to swallow voiding your warranty on such an expensive truck. And if you did go ahead and void the warranty, think about the ass eating your wife will give you if you need to have warranty work done, but cant. Injectors are about $1500 each and are usually the first casualty of a tuner.

But with that said I am real happy with the performance of my un-modded 6.7--mileage isn't great but it is better than a gasser. Right now, according to the computer I am getting 14.5 MPG mixed driving (80% Hwy). I never got better than about 12mpg in my '06 Hemi Mega. As far as pulling a boat with the diesel, if you pulled it with your 1500 gasser, you wont even know its back there with the 2500 diesel.

I found that typically September and October are the best months to buy a car or truck. If you shop around a lot you can find what you want for the most part. Every dealer I went to said "If we don't have it, we can find one for you." And that is true to some degree BUT know that they aren't looking at the inventory on lots that are close. For example, Bob Howard in Edmond said that the closest truck that matched my requirements was in Texas...I found one in El Reno that I ended up buying. My guess is that dealers aren't allowed to pull from inventory on lots that are competitors. So Tulsa dealers probably wont look in OKC for a match and certainly wont look in Tulsa. The caveat is if the dealers are owned by the same company/person.

For my .02 I am real happy with the service that I get from Frontier Dodge. On the sales end of things they didn't jerk with me at all. The price on the truck came it right on the money, but the offer on my trade was $1000 too low. I told them I needed another $1000 to make the deal and it was oked immediately...It didn't take more than 20 minutes to negotiate the deal. I probibly could have got them to come off the price another grand if I had gone home to think about it. But in the end I didn't get the truck for a steal but I didn't get wallet raped either. On the service/shop end of things, I haven't had any warranty work done (knock on wood) except for a few recall items. But I do go there every 5000 miles and get the oil changed for $9.95! (no that's not a typeo, they only charge $9.95 to change the oil on any Dodge or Chrysler including Diesels) I'll give them first shot at my business when I'm ready for my next new car or truck.
MegaCabMan is offline   Reply With Quote