View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #182
myoung84
Super Moderator

Default Re: New truck thread

For 13-14, the Bighorn/Lonestar, Sport, and the Laramies get the on demand auto transfer case. The tradesman, express, SLT, and Outdoorsman are all supposed to get the part time case, regardless of frame length. And you're right, it's not really an issue for 99% of folks but it is for some. I believe the 09-12 trucks had an NV case rather that the Borg Warner a D 4lock and 4Low actually locked up like they were supposed to. The problem with the new Borg Warner case is that 4 auto is really no different than 4 lock. It must detect wheel spin before engaging the front axle.

I've already experienced one instance that pissed me off. Had my little flat bed trailer hooked up, parked on an incline, rear wheels on soft mushy grass, front on hard packed gravel. I put it in 4 lock, gave it a little gas, and it dug a nice rut with the back tires before the front tires ever got any power. The rears should have never slipped with the front on gravel and in 4wd...

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Shocks | AirLift 100 Air Bags
Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug
myoung84 is offline   Reply With Quote