View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Default Bike clutch help? (Matt or Timmy?)

Since I bought my bike it's had a small oil leak. I recently decided to fix that and found that the leak was coming from the alternator cover. The bike's previous owner had dropped the bike at low speed and apparently the alternator cover took the brunt of the damage...it's obvious someone hammered it out and most likely welded a crack...that's not my issue, but I found that they had use a gasket maker instead of a true gasket and that had started leaking.

I drained the bike by simply cracking open the alternator cover and letting it drain. After cleaning the surfaces and installing the gasket, I found that I had either lost or the previous owner had not installed one of the dowel pins that are used to hold the cover in place. Instead of installing everything incorrectly, I simply covered everything up, ordered the pin, and waited.

The pin came in today and I reinstalled everything to spec and refilled the bike with Rotella T 5w-40 (recommended). For some reason the clutch will not disengage now. The only way to start the bike is to have it in Neutral. Once the bike is running and I attempt to pull the clutch lever and put it in gear, the bike dies as if the clutch lever is not pulled....what's the connection between what I did and the problem I'm having?