View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #18
Okiespaniels
Coffee, Gas, Ammo. Set!

Yeah...I see the problem right off...Colton is gonna hate me for this, but its the installation. Well sorta. I'll explain.

I would think the exhaust on your truck would be similar to mine if all the factory stuff is there.

Here's the issue. Your convertor if it has the stock hanger, is held relitively still. Your lead pipe should have had at least one hanger towards the rear of it. That holds it secure at the muffler...again I'm going with my truck as a reference. SCSB trucks might not...but...
It looks like the install shop put a hanger at the rear clamp on the muffler BUT they have all this tailpipe weight hanging over the axle. So the front pipe is moving with the engine vibration, and the tailpipe is also moving, as it hangs over the axle. The stress points are at each end of the muffler...

That's way too much movement and probably going opposite directions at times. That'll snap a muffler snout, or whatever the thinnest part is over time.

A safer installation for future reference might be a 2nd tailpipe hanger mounted at the factory point over the axle (where the pin is hanging) and if mounting points are still there one at the end of the headpipe from the cat. This allows the system to move as one.

EDIT...WARNING! Now that your rear hanger is gone you have this heavy muffler dangling and moving around. The secure point is back at the connection where the lead pipe goes into the cat. Again the cat is held still but the lead can vibrate and bounce with the truck.
Guess what might snap next...?

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 02-06-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Okiespaniels is offline   Reply With Quote