View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #18
swirvin21
V6 Member

As they are right now they are about 60lbs each for a 2 piece steel 12 bolt H1 double beadlock rim. Without inner beadlocks. Once I add PVC inners it will be closer to 65lbs. Not a big deal since this will be losing DD status here soon hopefully. A heavier rim will also help keep traction better that light wheels and steel rims are easier to repair if damaged and less likely to be damaged than an aluminum one. I'll be adding a set of stiffeners to the outers before installation. Something like this is what I'm thinking. Should add another 5lb....

The 8 bolt ones are a little lighter but I would NEVER run a set of 8 bolts with a fullsize truck and the 37" military Goodyears. Military specs show the 8 bolt rims only capable of handling a bias ply tire (the old 36" military Goodyears), the newer 12 bolt I have were designed for the newer radial tires (newer 37" military Goodyears.) The newest ones are the 24 bolt H1 beadlocks designed for the newest Goodyear Bajas, basically to prevent wheel damage from IEDs.

I see many guys runs the 8 bolts on the road with radial tires, but the stock bolts aren't designed for that kind of pressure and they will pop. And once they pop you have to notice quickly or you could lose them all very quickly. I know some guys that run Grade 8 bolts in them that are stronger, but it's still questionable in my mind.
swirvin21 is offline   Reply With Quote