View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Default Interior remodel

Well, I finally decided to do something with the little bit of money I had to play with (or some of it at least) and also to do something more focused on me and my driving experience with the truck rather than try to find something on the exterior to mess with.

One of my favorite things to do on this truck is to try and fix the issues with Dodge's design, like leaving the tailgate handle and antenna base in textured black plastic. In a similar fashion, I like changing things about the truck that I think Dodge missed the mark on, like lighting and the sound system (which I still haven't done.)

Anyway, a ton of people have painted their interior plastics to match or even done some really cool stuff with hydrodipping. Mine are painted to match, and I like that. Hell, I even had custom door inserts cut out and I painted them to match as well to pull the truck's color to the doors as well.

One of my biggest issues with the interior is the fact that everything from the pillars up are tan despite the fact that the rest of the interior is black. My first thought was to paint the plastics and have the headliner recovered. However, everything I've been told and read online about interior paints left me worried about durability over time. I then talked to an upholstery shop about wrapping my pillars in fabric. The problem there is that the grab handles would have to be stitched. Most wouldn't touch it and those that said they would "try" priced it like they were working on a Lamborghini.

This got me thinking and spitballing an idea with a few people...so I pulled the A and B pillars out of the truck:

And sent them off to have the handles and bolt holes shaved. I know what you are thinking about the bolt holes, but after some trial and error, I figure that the bolts were only because the pillars had grab handles. Now the pillars will be held in place with the clips, as they were originally, and I may place some small pieces of double sided tape behind them as well, if I think its necessary. Here they are, as I received them today. Handles cut off, those holes and the bolt holes fiberglassed over, and then some bondo and primer. They aren't shaped exactly as I hoped, but I found that my way was virtually impossible without totally rebuilding them with glass and bondo.

Now the plan is to order both foam backed black ultrasuede and non-foam backed black ultrasuede. I'll be covering the headliner, visors, and all A, B, and C pillars. The very small remaining pieces will be painted/dyed black.