View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #459
myoung84
Super Moderator

I'm 100% done with the system. I got my airline, fittings, and Loctite 545 in the mail on Monday and finished up the final plumbing. I flipped the switch on to start the compressors and nothing happened. I started checking fuses, all were good. Then checked the relays, both were functioning correctly. Checked voltage at the distribution block, relays, and compressors, everything was showing 0V. When I turned the switch off then I had 12V at the distribution block and one side of the relay, just as I should. Turned the switch back on, and 0V everywhere. Check fuses again, two on the distribution block and one at the battery, all ohmed out good. I was frustrated and tired so I called it a day. I went to school for electrical engineering, I shouldn't be having these problems.

Went back out yesterday with a clear head and it was obvious what was wrong. With the switch off, I had 12V right after the fuse at the battery, but with it on, it went to 0V. I replaced the 60A glass fuse and the compressors fired up. Not sure why I didn't try this the day before. I've never seen a fuse that would ohm out good but be open when a load was applied. Very odd...

I then decided that I didn't like the location of my quick connect, so I got some 1/4" air hose and routed it to the rear of the truck. It's mounted to a strip of aluminum and covered in plasti-dip. I covered the quick connect with a rubber table end I got from the hardware store. I used hose barbs and hose clamps for this connection, I hope it doesn't leak over time. If it does, I'll replace it with some DOT airline and compression fittings. So far, I don't see any leaks. I'll let it sit for a few days then see if I've lost any pressure. Fill time from 0 psi to 145 psi was just under 3 minutes. I've got my tire inflation gun and about 20' of air hose that I will keep in the truck. This will reach all of the truck tires as well as the tires on most trailers.

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Shocks | AirLift 100 Air Bags
Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug
myoung84 is offline   Reply With Quote