View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #118
ramthis9501
Cummins Member

Alright alot has happened in the past week…. Redid the entire top end. New heads, lifters, pushrods, valve springs, head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, header gaskets, and header bolts. Only "stock" part left are the valves. Well I tore it down Monday and just got it all done and put back together earlier this evening. Before tear down, there was a loud knocking noise. I thought it was just a pushrod considering that it was disconnected from the lifter when I tore it down. The shit news now.. That knock is still there, even after a whole new top end. That only leaves one explanation… Rod knock. Yup the piston rod coming off the crank. But after talking to some well knowledgeable guys, we think the crank, pistons, rods and cam are good. So that means it's time for either a rebuild on my motor which would involve new main bearings, rod bearings, cam bearings, piston rings and oil pump or just get a new short block and put my top end on it. This sucks ass. But it is what it is, so hopefully I can get a game plan down soon and get my truck running again before Christmas.