Thread: Weekend project
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #25
Okiespaniels
Coffee, Gas, Ammo. Set!

Originally Posted by BMRbrnSNRbrd View Post
Well guys, it was coming along so well and now I have another speedbump...I'm embarrassed by having another problem, but I'm not even sure what caused it.

All of these pieces were painted with the same products from start to finish and all of them (including the VR lid and two-piece badge) were cleared at the same time and only one piece has a major flaw.

There is one large spot and a couple small ones where the clear wrinkled for some reason. I didn't spray this one any differently than the other pieces. I went light on the first couple of coats and heavier on the last and waited the same amount of time each time.

I don't think it can be fixed without starting over AGAIN. The thing that really sucks is that I'm out of the good 2k clear, so I'm very irritated right now. I'll try to very lightly wetsand that area and buff, but I'm almost positive it can't be fixed.
Cracks or wrinkles are usually caused by the previous color or primer not being throughly dried and the trapped solvents from previous coats reacting to the clear or vice versa. This can happen when paint is applied too heavily and/ or in high humidity situations.

All you can do is wait for it to dry and sand everything off and start over. Use thin coats and let dry thoroughly before recoating and clearing. I'd recommend a week or so before clearing.
Okiespaniels is offline   Reply With Quote