View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #2010
myoung84
Super Moderator

I got to drive a 2014 Quad Cab, 4x4, 8 speed, 3.21 geared truck this week. We had a service vehicle go down at work and this is a rental. It's a stripped down SLT model but it's still pretty nice inside. I like the new interior a lot. The light gray and black looks really nice and the door panels even on the lower trim levels looks more upscale that the previous versions. I like the new center console with the integrated cup holders as well.

I really like the 8 speed. I've got the same trans in my Jeep and this one drives just as nice. I will say that the 3.21 gears were alright for the limited time I had behind the wheel. I did a mix of city and highway driving and it seemed to do just fine. This one does have the shorter 17's on it. With the 33's that come on the 20" wheels, I think I'd still want at least 3.55 gears, especially if you tow much. But for light duty use, the 17" wheels and 3.21 gears isn't a terrible choice. I didn't have a chance to get on the interstate and see how it holds speed up hills. That's the real test for me. I have a feeling it would drop to 7th gear at every incline, just like my Jeep with 3.09 gears does.

I actually like the rotary gear selector a lot. Much better than the joystick I have in the Jeep. It's very easy to use and is very natural, at least to me. It's has a very solid feel to it as well. They've also replaced the passenger side 12V socket with a USB charging only port. Great idea. The base model EVIC is set up a little better too. I like that it has idle and drive hours separated and that you can get all the vitals on one page. The electric steering has a different feel to it but steers very nice.

I really can't think of anything I didn't like about the refreshed model. They did a great job, IMO. I will say that I kind of miss being in a 1500 for jumping around town. Don't think I could give up my 2500 but a second 1500 for daily use would be sweet.

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Shocks | AirLift 100 Air Bags
Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug
myoung84 is offline   Reply With Quote