View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Okiespaniels
Coffee, Gas, Ammo. Set!

Time to start moving forward!

Its late fall 2001. I've joined my first two Dodge Ram forums, started posting and meeting local Ram owners who enjoyed off roading, and added a few items to my truck. There was a lot of information and excitement about the 2nd gens online, but few realized that 2001 was the swan song for the 2nd gen body style. I also joined a local club and went on some trail rides. It was that point that I started adding off road gear, mostly recovery stuff...because I tended to get stuck on occasion.

In early 2002 I went on a trail cleanup out at the west side of Table Mesa, which is North of Phoenix and lake Pleasant. After hauling several loads of trash, litter and spent brass for irresponsible shooters, I decded to play a bit. Nothing too technical, but fun none the less. I attended another cleanup a Saquaro lake that February. Flying over the whoops and around the ATV trails and hills was a blast!

By this time you can see pretty much everything I've done. In the first photo I haven't added the vent visors yet.

In addition to dressup items like bug guards and vent shields, I now have tool box, High lift, various recovery straps, tire plug kits, fire extiguisher and CB. The only engine mod is a chrome tip my store manager gave me because it was a damaged return. I learned real quick that when off roading, driving skill has more merit than horsepower. I dreamed of gears and lockers..and still do!

Y'know, most of you gotta be thnking why I didn't just pay out the bucks for a lift and tires. Well, budget issues aside (child support) most of the guys I hung wth that had lifts and tires couldn't do much more with thier trucks than I could with mine. I had to take a different line and be a judacious at times. Plus tearing up an expensive rim or tire wouldv'e been a budget breaker for me. Also, when you're out in the desert, it isn't about looks, but about your skill and your vehicles' capabilities

Last edited by ramthis9501; 08-07-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Okiespaniels is offline   Reply With Quote