View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
myoung84
Super Moderator

So now I have a real Alpine system. I replaced the door speakers with Alpine Type S 6x9's and the left and right dash speakers with some 3.5" Kickers (Since Alpine doesn't have 3.5's). I installed my Alpine 4 channel amp from the old truck to power the 4 door speakers. The dash speakers and the rear headliner speakers are powered from the head unit.

I was actually shocked to see the the 4 door speakers had plastic cones instead of paper, but they still felt pretty cheap and had no tweeters. The dash speakers were still cheap paper speakers. The new Type S 6x9's were a direct drop in and required no trimming behind the door like my the Infinity's I put in the old truck. I connected the new speakers to the factory speaker wires since I didn't want to run new wires to each of the doors.

When I bought the new speakers I also bought 25' of 9 conductor "speed wire" which made wiring so much easier. I ran this single cable from the new amp behind the rear driver seat up over the top of the doors above the headliner to below the steering wheel where the factory amp is located. I unplugged the 2 connectors, cut the speakers from the harness and soldered them to the new cable going to the new amp. Did the same thing with the left over cable for the dash and headliner speakers running this cable to the head unit. The center dash speaker is no longer used, along with the factory amp. It now sounds so much better than before.

Sorry, no pics of this mod since there wasn't really much to see.

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front & Rear Shocks | AirLift 100 Air Bags
Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug
myoung84 is offline   Reply With Quote