View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
swirvin21
V6 Member

Well, I guess I can announce that we are pregnant now that we're into the 2nd trimester! So alot of buying this truck was to get the extra room in the back from the crew cab. The original plan for the White Ram was for it to be a good DD, farm truck and short-term heavy hauler for taking our horses to shows, etc. Down the road we hope to get a real hauler like a Freightliner or something in the 450, 550+ area, as I'm sure my wife plans on getting more horses and a bigger trailer! LOL

The plan right now is to find a flat bed, truck bed or something to throw on the back cheap so I can drive it more. I'm not a big fan of having everything open and uncovered on the road and only some magnetic trailer lights on the back! My wife really wants a Western Hauler style flat bed, but they are expensive and hard to find. I'm hoping she let's me use the money to buy a tube bender and some other tools for me to be able to build my own this fall!

For right now, a cheap flat bed, replacing the rear disc pads and fixing the transmission, which seems to either have a 2nd gear issue or just needs the bands adjusted and maybe a solenoid replaced. There are a number of other things that the truck needs replaced, like the hood struts, the dash cap is badly cracked and some basic maintence, but that's why I got it sooo cheap!

I would guess that the 47RE transmission on this would be the same as my '98 aside from a few sensors. Depending on what happens when I open her up, I may consider parting out the White Ram early and moving some stuff around.

I'm going to have to re-evaluate some of my build plans as I was just about to pull the trigger on rebuilding a D80 and D60 for the White Ram, as well as doing a hub conversion, suspension upgrade and a number of other things. Have a brand new set of Rancho RS9000s that are in the garage for a 2" lift on a 2nd Gen....think they would work on the 3rd gen? Bunch of parts like that. Probably have a hub conversion kit for sale here soon....complete Ford conversion w/ knuckles, hubs, stubs, spindles and everything to get dual piston calipers and locking hubs on a 2nd gen. Also just recently traded for a set of Moto Metal 20x10 black 951s that we going on the White, but won't work on the Red unless I delete DRW for a bit....anyone need 20s??

If anyone knows of a cheap flat bed, hit me up! Also will have some pretty kick ass parts coming up: the 20" Moto Metals (5 of them), Ford conversion kit, a set of 275/65R20 Goodyear E load tires (used, 50%ish) and a few others I'll put together.

Love to hear ideas on the best places to spend money on these! Wonder if my 2nd gen K&N setup will work on her???
swirvin21 is offline   Reply With Quote