Thread: Am I crazy?
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #33
BMRbrnSNRbrd
Cummins Member

Here's where I am: the bike developed a small (very small) fuel leak that I could not find in an easily seen spot. However it was very obvious because raw fuel smells so bad. I started looking into the typical places raw fuel would leak.

I took the carbs all apart thinking that it was the bowls. Replaced the bowl seals and bowl drain screws and put everything back together. I put a little fuel in the bike and ran it for about 10 minutes...nothing.

I then filled it up in anticipation of riding it the next day...and it started to leak. I felt determined to find the source so I started tearing the bike down immediately to find exactly where it was leaking...I found it was only the fuel line to the rear set of carbs...something I could have replaced without ever taking the carbs off..oh well.

Went yesterday morning to get some new fuel line and hose clamps. While installing them (with the carbs on the bike) I had to rotate the fuel tube on the rear two carbs. Got that installed and all excited...still leaking, but now from the ends of the fuel tube for the rear two carbs. I guess while rotating it, I caused another problem because the seals at the end of the fuel tube are 16 years old. Now I'm not going to touch that damn thing for a few days so that I dont' just push it over and set it ablaze with the fuel its leaking from the carbs.

I guess the only way to fix this problem is new fuel tube seals. I also found out you have to remove the carb bank and also separate those two rear carbs from the bank in order to change the seals. This is going to get interesting. Taking the carbs off isn't too hard, just time consuming. I really wish I could have sold it this weekend as I really want that black S10, but what can you do, right?