Oklahoma Ram Club

Oklahoma Ram Club (http://www.oklarams.com/index.php)
-   Build Threads (http://www.oklarams.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   2000 Dodge Dakota R/T Build Thread (http://www.oklarams.com/showthread.php?t=1313)

Matt 12-15-2013 06:53 AM

yeah but you know what's in your rebuilt short block .. for the same amount of money why in the world would you gamble on internals you know nothing about

BMRbrnSNRbrd 12-15-2013 08:24 AM

I swapped the bottom end on my S10 (first truck) instead of going with what I had and only ended up with more problems. I know you are talking to some guys who know their shit, but I would have to agree with Morgan and Matt on this one.

Okiespaniels 12-15-2013 09:28 AM

I'm always torn about expressing an opinion on matters like this. However a couple of thoughts are in order. I'm making assumptions based on limited info.

Does the the "rebuilt" come with any type of warranty that even covers "performance" use? Any warranty is better than none, and most re builders offer one. You may not have that with your original short block.

Having said that... keeping your engine allows things to be "numbers matching" and you'll know exactly what was done. By controlling the process, you can control the quality. Yes. this costs more.

If you continue to race the truck, the longevity of a "cookie cutter" reman could become obvious, and expensive. Factory remans can be hodgepodge of parts and processes, which would not effect an every day type situation but may have consequences in a racing one.

ramthis9501 12-16-2013 02:20 AM

The thing about it is, the piston rods might be shot in my short block, which would be a shit load more money. The short block I'm looking at going with is a stock 5.9 with 60,000 miles that ran strong when pulled. The bottom end is good on it for sure and should be for a long time to come. That's why I'm leaning towards that route. Only reason mine gave out is because it has 133,000 miles on it and theres no telling what the guy before me did to it. This other engine is coming from a trusted friend of mine and I know he wouldn't sell me junk. I just need to make this work and last me another 2-3 years until I can save up the money to do my big build on it. Still gonna race this one though :D

ramthis9501 12-17-2013 05:51 PM

Picking up the 60,000 mile motor tonight and putting the top end on tomorrow. Motor goes in Thursday, Friday at the latest

916Timmy 12-17-2013 07:58 PM

That should be good Colton. Just give it a good look with the pan off and look at the bearings and crank in the bottom end

ramthis9501 12-27-2013 10:29 PM

New engine is officially installed! Truck ran good tonight and gonna run it again tomorrow

myoung84 12-27-2013 10:36 PM

Sweet! Glad you're up and running again.

(S.M.R) 101 12-28-2013 12:28 PM

Nice man.

Let us know how it holds up.