Oklahoma Ram Club

Oklahoma Ram Club (http://www.oklarams.com/index.php)
-   Technical/Repair (http://www.oklarams.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   2009-2010 factory recalls (http://www.oklarams.com/showthread.php?t=1368)

405.7RAM 06-25-2013 12:20 AM

2009-2010 factory recalls

So on Sunday I was driving my truck when i heard aloud clunk of metal from my truck! I can put my truck in gear and nothing happens the drive shaft just spins... ( there is no visible damage to the driveshaft or rear end) I can place my truck in park but its as if its in neutral so i have to leave the emergency brake engaged... Insurance towed my truck to fowler dodge and they have yet to inspect my truck but they did let me know of a recall for the pinion gear... I am worried because i found out from the dealership today that My truck sold new with a limited lifetime warranty on the drive train but was only available to the first purchaser. long story short I purchased the truck preowned under the understanding that the truck would be under 5yr/100,000 mile warranty but now I have a truck with less than 50,000 miles and no warranty! I have done some research to the recall and everyone complains of their rear-end locking up but mine does nothing??

I am hoping its not the transmission can someone please share some incite??

myoung84 06-25-2013 09:42 AM

If it's a recall, warranty is irrelevant. They have to fix all recall items regardless of warranty or not. So, if it is a broken rearend due to the pinion nut recall, you should be fine. If it's something else, then that could get ugly.

Do you have any of your paper work that shows you have a 5yr/100k mile warranty or was it all verbal?

DoubleTakeDodge 06-25-2013 10:54 AM

If the driveshaft spins but the truck has no power to the ground, there is a good chance nothing is wrong with the transmission. Knowing that there is a recall on the pinion nut hopefully that's what it is because recalls fall on the manufacturer's expense. If that's what it is, the only thing that should cost you is maybe the tow.

405.7RAM 06-25-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myoung84 (Post 24335)
If it's a recall, warranty is irrelevant. They have to fix all recall items regardless of warranty or not. So, if it is a broken rearend due to the pinion nut recall, you should be fine. If it's something else, then that could get ugly.

Do you have any of your paper work that shows you have a 5yr/100k mile warranty or was it all verbal?

I bought the truck from ferguson gmc under the understanding It was still in the factory warranty but none of my paperwork mentions anything about it... So basically is it has nothing to do with the recall I'm screwed...

405.7RAM 06-25-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleTakeDodge (Post 24336)
If the driveshaft spins but the truck has no power to the ground, there is a good chance nothing is wrong with the transmission. Knowing that there is a recall on the pinion nut hopefully that's what it is because recalls fall on the manufacturer's expense. If that's what it is, the only thing that should cost you is maybe the tow.

I am pretty sure it has to do with the rear axle just not sure if its due to the pinion... Every complaint I have read talks about the rear end locking up and but mine just does absolutely nothing so my worry is that it is not the pinion gear... How ever my insurance cover'd the tow and I am still having the dealership fix the recall. I figure once they pop open the pumpkin they'll know for sure... I should find out by the end of the day though!! Ill keep you guys posted as to the problem but I highly suggest to anyone who owns an 09-10 to check and see if their truck has been recalled, it sounds like some people have wrecked/ totaled their trucks because of this recall

Thanks guys!!

BMRbrnSNRbrd 06-25-2013 11:30 AM

If I understood the recall correctly, which might be a long shot, the only reason the rear ends locked up on those other trucks is they were up to speed and something failed. It might be that they didn't stay locked up but we only hear about that part because it's the sensational "My truck's rearend locked up while I was on the highway!"

405.7RAM 06-25-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMRbrnSNRbrd (Post 24340)
If I understood the recall correctly, which might be a long shot, the only reason the rear ends locked up on those other trucks is they were up to speed and something failed. It might be that they didn't stay locked up but we only hear about that part because it's the sensational "My truck's rearend locked up while I was on the highway!"

True!!!! I still have no idea what happened yet but fowler dodge has been more than awesome and they even set me up on a 2013 crew cab 4x4 until the recall is fixed, I really like it but it only has the 4.7l in it so it feels like a turtle lol

916Timmy 06-25-2013 11:19 PM

I need to get mine looked at....but I really want to swap all the rear end stuff out still. 4.10s are still calling my name!

405.7RAM 06-27-2013 09:53 PM

Yeah I might switch I got the chance to race a new rt and he barely got me from a dig but from a 20 roll we were pretty even...

405.7RAM 06-27-2013 09:54 PM

That six speed is sick from a dig though