Oklahoma Ram Club

Oklahoma Ram Club (http://www.oklarams.com/index.php)
-   Technical/Repair (http://www.oklarams.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   No overdrive problem (http://www.oklarams.com/showthread.php?t=1055)

Lt.Dan 08-23-2012 11:20 PM

Yeah. Just made an ass of myself about it. Hahaha. Embarrassing.

Okiespaniels 08-23-2012 11:25 PM

You'll get over it...I'm still not sure what you figured out.
But I'm glad you did. Education cures ignorance.

Okiespaniels 08-23-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramthis9501 (Post 18184)
Haha don't it happens to the best of us. Next time you drive it going down the road, push the button on your shift lever, that turns O/D on and off. If it jumps up the rpm's, that means its working and kicking it up into 3rd gear. Push it again and it'll shift back into 4th (O/D). That'll verify that its still working. There's also a little orange light that comes up on the dash that says "O/D off" when you push that button.

Actually this is partially true. You're od doesn't engage but your tc lockup does.

I think this is where the confusion comes. Our trannies are actually 3 speeds with a lockup converter and overdrive.

I am told you can disengage the tc but you have to dig into the pcm wiring harness.

ramthis9501 08-23-2012 11:33 PM

Transmissions are confusing... Haha

Okiespaniels 08-23-2012 11:36 PM

I used to think that...until I started studying the manuals...I understand a whole lot more now than i did. Maybe only enough to be dangerous, but it least it's not some kind of "black art" any more.

Are you still haing an issue with the od or tc slippping? That could become a real issue!

ramthis9501 08-23-2012 11:39 PM

Luckily mines still doing good!

Okiespaniels 08-23-2012 11:42 PM

I know this is off topic, but I wonder if theres a way I could download this manual I have on to the forum so you guys could have a copy.

ramthis9501 08-23-2012 11:43 PM

That would be helpful! I'll send you a PM real quick

trouble 08-23-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okiespaniels (Post 18189)
Actually this is partially true. You're od doesn't engage but your tc lockup does.

I think this is where the confusion comes. Our trannies are actually 3 speeds with a lockup converter and overdrive.

I am told you can disengage the tc but you have to dig into the pcm wiring harness.

With o/d on the trans shifts 1,2,3,4,+t/c.
With o/d off the trans shifts 1,2,3,+t/c.

DoubleTakeDodge 08-24-2012 09:38 AM

When i turn my overdrive off it spikes the RPMs through all gears and keeps the truck at a higher range to make it easier for towing/accelerating with a trailer without putting too much strain on the truck. Jerrod's problem is that it doesn't do that. With the overdrive on or off it runs the same. However, that may just be how diesels are set up because the make stupid amounts of torque compared to a gas motor.